Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canon 85mm f/1.8

Re: Canon 85mm f/1.8

Quote Originally Posted by powers_brent

Granted this was taken with the 100mm f/2.0, this lens still shows the capability of the 85 f/1.8. They are practically identical. Most people cannot even tell the difference between the lenses if it wasn't for the 100mm/85mm designation. Its an AMAZING lens, even wide open. And it gives TACK SHARP results when stopped down.

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/brentpowers/3917654495/][/url]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

This portrait is very beautiful! It shows everything I am looking to get out of my next lens purchase...great color, awesome sharpness and beautiful bokeh! Thanks for posting!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Gina Franco

Someone commented on the "jagged" background blur in this photo, but these "jags" look to me like nearby bright reflections--water, maybe?--and I want to mention that I've taken photos with the 85mm with backgrounds that are smooth and creamy. It partly depends on the distance of the background to the subject.

Gina

I fully agree with you Gina. I have seen many beautifully smooth backgrounds online of photos taken with this lens.
    Thank you for posting and letting me know how pleased you are with the lens ...I think everyone has sold me on it and the beautiful photos posted here clinched it!

Denise

Haha I feel honored to be mentioned as a motivation to get this lens.[H]

Here's a couple more examples of mine taken with the 85, and of course you've already seen the most recent ones in the portraits thread. All of these were taken with a 350D w/ the 85 wide open at f/1.8 with the exception of the middle one which was shot at f/3.2.

(^ It's a real, living monkey in this photo, even though it looks so posed and fake ^)

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett-Grimsley

Haha I feel honored to be mentioned as a motivation to get this lens.[img]/emoticons/emotion-11.gif[/img]

I was beginning to wonder when you were going to chime in since you ARE the reason behind this entire thread! See how we talk about you when you're not around!! [:P]

BTW: Another set of awesome photos with this lens! Thanks for sharing &amp; re-selling me on it! [Y]

Denise

Garrett, that second image is great. Great "pose", framing and exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina Franco
    So so so beautiful, John. Is she yours?

Thanks, Gina! Yes, that's our little one... []

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    This portrait is very beautiful! It shows everything I am looking to get out of my next lens purchase...great color, awesome sharpness and beautiful bokeh! Thanks for posting!

Denise

Thanks Denise! And about the bokeh, well it can be jagged in this case because of the window/fountain that was close behind her, but in other situations its creamy smooth.

By jagged I mean, if you look at almost all of the specular OOF elements, they are not soft nor round. I see it in all the photos. All shots are said to be shot wide open but I see what appears to be aperture blade shaping. I guess it is just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

By jagged I mean, if you look at almost all of the specular OOF elements, they are not soft nor round. I see it in all the photos. All shots are said to be shot wide open but I see what appears to be aperture blade shaping. I guess it is just me.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

You know, now that I look at each more carefully ...I see what you are referring to and you are right, none of them are soft. Hmmmm...I'm going to have to think about this some more and look at a few more photos.

I think it was Gina that mentioned earlier in the post that she gets a creamy background from this lens. If so, I wonder if she wouldn't mind posting a few.

Does anyone else have a photo or two using this lens that you wouldn't mind posting?

Denise

Here are a bunch of examples of my shots with the lens. I do not disagree that if there are OOF specular highlights that they may come out kinda jagged compared to creamy smooth peanut butter. But I still stand by the claim ofthese lenses (the 85 and 100)are amazing!