Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Post your best MP-E 65 shots

Re: Post your best MP-E 65 shots

Hey, congrats on your new lens, John. I think my equipment is now a subset of yours

Amazing that you were able to get so much sharpness at f/2.8. This lens, of course, is capable of the narrowest DOF of any lens canon (or anyone else that I know of) makes.

I really like the closeup of the spider, Chris. What f/ did you use? It

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    Jon, What kind of tripod set up did you use for these?

I think those were all handheld. I sometimes use a Arca Swiss Z1 ballhead and macro rails.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    Also, are the photos better IQ wiseand sharpnessmore easily obtained with this lens or with the 100mm Macro IS & extension tubes?

Extension tubes won't give you this much magnification, unless you have about a foot of them If you did, I'm not sure the 65mm would have any advantage over the 100mm.

It is a very legitimate question, however, to ask, how does this lens compare to 100mm macro + cropping. If you are diffraction limited, the 65mm gives no theoretical advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Amazing that you were able to get so much sharpness at f/2.8. This lens, of course, is capable of the narrowest DOF of any lens canon (or anyone else that I know of) makes.

Thanks, Jon and everyone else! This wasn't a planned purchase, just somehing I ran across on CL. Jon - check your Conversations, although I took your silence for approval. []

The "f/2.8" is just part of the full lens name - the shot was at f/10. Fairly soon, I'll need to add the MT-24EX (probably before the current rebate ends). Probably a macro rail too, although I've been seeing the same out-of-stock issue that Denise mentioned.

Extension tubes won't give you this much magnification, unless you have about a foot of them If you did, I'm not sure the 65mm would have any advantage over the 100mm.

Lol! I guess I did not do a good job of asking the question but thanks for clarifying what I was trying to ask! I was at work and although should not be posting on a forum, I tried to get a quick question in!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Probably a macro rail too, although I've been seeing the same out-of-stock issue that Denise mentioned.

Off to B&H earlier...click add to cart a new 24Ex..click add Sto-Fen omni bounce...click add 72C adapter for the 180mm....wait....whats this ...."Temporarily out of Stock"

Well whats the point if I can't use it on the 180... maybe I will get it all another day.

I really like the closeup of the spider, Chris. What f/ did you use? It's always a battle between diffraction and DOF.

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thanks Jon. Both those were at f/11 and neither have any sharpening added in post, other than saving for web size. But you're right - diffraction vs. DOFis critical on this lens. Initiallyf/16 was my standard settingon the MPE but I wasn't ever pleased with sharpness, especiallyat 3x+. Now I rarely go beyond f/11, and whenever possible I'll focus stackusing ~6.3.

Then again, I know others have been able to do more with less. If you haven't seen it already, http://nocroppingzone.blogspot.com/is a fantastic resource for tips on the MP-E, MT-24EX and extreme macro in general. I'm lookin forward to seeing more of you guys' images with the MPE!