Thread: Tamron 150-600 and wildlife photography

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tamron 150-600 and wildlife photography

Hello everyone!

I'm here to asking for some advices...

I'm a passionate amateur photographer and i will stay like that for a long time. I also didn't have too much time to invest in photography since job, love and other interest are "strong in this one" (q. Star Wars).

I'm really happy with my 60D camera, i can handle HIGH ISO shooting with this camera, and i find the 18-135 IS STM + 50mm f 1.8 really good for the majority of the pictures that i do love to take.

But i'm really in love with my cheap Canon 70-300 IS USM.

With this last lens i started to love "static" animal photography. (I don't know if it is the correct translation!) What i'm saying is that i love to capture pictures of animals in their natural habitat, i do not have too much needings about capturing flying birds at high speed, i prefer to shoot at them while they are on a stick.

For that, i'm considering to buy the Tamron 150-600, the reviews are very positive, the price is really accessible and with the few time i can spend going around for woods shooting pictures, i think that this lens would be a really good time-price-investment. And with an APS-C camera, the focal lenght will permit me to stay at the right distance without scaring birds deers and other animals.

So, now that i explained my background and the reasons for my choiche, i would like to ask something more specific about this kind of photography (which is really new to me) and this lens!

- The lens weight is something also new to me, for this kind of photography, do i need a "one-leg tripod"?
    - I like to lay on the ground when i "hunt" for some of those shoots with my 70-300. I imagine that i would love to lay down also with 150-600... but the difference in weight suggest me that maybe exists some kind of "small tripod" or something useful to support the lens when i'm on the ground. Do you have any suggestion?
    - Usually animals are easier to spot at dawn or sunset... and with those light conditions i imagine that rising up the ISO is a really common practice to obtain "sharp" pictures with 150-600 x 1.6mm focal range. Did you find some problem with such a long focal range?

- Any suggestion in general? Also on other lenses, or any impression about the Tamron 150-600?

Probably in the far future ( ) i will exchange my good 60D for a 7DMarkII, but that's another story.

Thank you everyone and excuse me for long and confuse post! Writing it already clear my mind on some points
    Last edited by jamsus; 06-15-2015 at 10:21 AM.
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus