Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed on monopods and monopod tilt heads

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Advice Needed on monopods and monopod tilt heads

Hi Everyone,

Yep, it's Denise again with advice needed...again! [:$]

I just received my 580EX II yesterday and it is just as awesome as everyone said it would be and I am sooo happy i purchased it! Thanks to all that helped in the decision process!!

Now, it is time for me to "focus" on the next needed accessory! Due to budget restrictions, I am thinking of getting a monopod instead of a tripod. Plus, I do have tripod that came with my kit that I can still use with a light lens. I also think I would be more inclined to use a monopod more than a tripod due to ease of mobility (I assume).

So this post actually is two-fold. Feedback would be appreciated on pros/cons of using a monopod instead of a tripod and ...

I am looking at possibly getting the GM 5541 monopod and the Benro DJ-80 Monopod Tilt Head for when I take pictures of my flowers and of birds. Has anyone had experience with using this tilt head or could you recommend one that I should consider? Will this tilt head work with this monopod? My heaviest equipment I will be using is my 300mm f/4L w/ 1.4x II extender & 580EX II on my Rebel T1i.

Thanks again!

Denise

Re: Advice Needed on monopods and monopod tilt heads

In my opinion, you already have what you need for now, so don't rush to get a monopod. Wait a bit and practice, and when you are comfortable with it drop the $$ on a tripod. I just personally don't like monopods.

well, just my advice []

brendan

I concur. It seems like your targets (flowers and birds) are either long range or require a very steady hand. Neither of those is what monopods are all about. A monopod is not a cheap alternative to a tripod, but a totally different animal entirely. If you said you were shooting fast-moving field action sports, then we're talking monopod, but your desires seem to be pointing you towards a good steady lightweight tripod, with a good tripod head.

I am just suggesting this because I own one, but with the budget you are proposing based solely on the Gitzo 5541, have you looked at the Bogen Manfrotto 055CXPRO3? That is a great tripod for the money. It is carbon fiber, with magnesium hardware, and it seems very strong and stable. It is incredibly light, like 2+ pounds, and can be made to be a very stable vertical macro mount by re-orienting the center column 90 degrees.

As brendan said, too, if you already have a good platform, save your money for something else. New glass, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1

I concur. It seems like your targets (flowers and birds) are either long range or require a very steady hand. Neither of those is what monopods are all about. A monopod is not a cheap alternative to a tripod, but a totally different animal entirely. If you said you were shooting fast-moving field action sports, then we're talking monopod, but your desires seem to be pointing you towards a good steady lightweight tripod, with a good tripod head.

I am just suggesting this because I own one, but with the budget you are proposing based solely on the Gitzo 5541, have you looked at the Bogen Manfrotto 055CXPRO3? That is a great tripod for the money. It is carbon fiber, with magnesium hardware, and it seems very strong and stable. It is incredibly light, like 2+ pounds, and can be made to be a very stable vertical macro mount by re-orienting the center column 90 degrees.

As brendan said, too, if you already have a good platform, save your money for something else. New glass, perhaps?
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thank you for educating me, I was definitely looking at the wrong thing for my needs. The only fast moving shots I will be taking is of my dogs and a bike race occasionally. My toddler grandchildren are not quite fast moving as of yet []

Since I have quite a bit to save for, I have plenty of time to look at whats out there for good tripods, I know it will definitely be carbon fiber and I will take a look at the one you've suggested. Thanks!

Denise

I am currently saving the $$$ for tripod, flash, and 15-85mm EFS lens. (tripod at top of list)

I suggest you wait. Then get a gitzo systematic 2541 or whatnot for some ridunculous price and feel totally awesome. Don't rush.

BTW, yes, Manfrotto is good. But Gitzo :: Manfrotto = Mercedes::Ferrari.

Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223

I am currently saving the $$ for tripod, flash, and 15-85mm EFS lens. (tripod at top of list)

I suggest you wait. Then get a gitzo systematic 2541 or whatnot for some ridunculous price and feel totally awesome. Don't rush.

Brendan

I definitely will wait but I don't ever see me spending quite that much on a tripod. I only spent the $$ on the 580 EX II because my internal flash was giving me problems but it was pretty pricey for me. I will definitely wait and save...and save and with any luck, maybe by the time I'm ready financially someone will be selling a nice used one. I've never in my life spent this much money on myself for a hobby and I don't think a new "Ferrari" is in my future. I just bought myself a Nissan Murano a few months ago and I love it so if I can find a tripod in that class ...I'll be happy. []

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223

I am currently saving the $$ for tripod, flash, and 15-85mm EFS lens. (tripod at top of list)

Brendan

So, that makes the RRS carbon fiber tripod the McLaren F1 of tripods? []

Denise,

First of all, I am flattered that you value my advice. I am also new to this hobby. I kind of made the same move that Peety3 did, too. My first tripod was an aluminum Sunpak 7500TM, which actually has a built-in monopod, but has a funky non-standard quick release plate, too. It isn't a terrible tripod, but there is a WORLD of difference between that and my new one.

If you are interested in the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 that I mentioned, just know that it is height adjustable, and built more sturdily than the 190 series, in my opinion. Don't underestimate the value of having beefier, larger diameter legs. That is also why I chose a three segment over a four segment like the 055CXPRO4. Keep in mind that it still only weighs a couple of pounds total. Couple that with the fact that it sells for less than a 580EX II flash, and you are good to go. I actually got mine for only $360 at my local camera store, because it was an unused floor model. I don't think it had been out of the box for a month if you want to know the truth.

Anyway, I also have a Manfrotto 3047 three-axis head that I really like, and I've seen a couple on eBay go for $70-80 used. I struggled with choosing between it and an awesome (huge!) Graf StudioBall ballhead with panning and everything. That thing is large enough to support my Land Cruiser, I do believe! Anyway, for the kind of shots I want to do, I felt like only having to worry about controlling a single axis at a time was beneficial, and got some valuable advice about the possibility of a ballhead allowing the camera to flop over dangerously if you aren't careful with big lenses attached. Also, the ball head didn't have a bubble level, and the Manfrotto actually has one on two different axes. I am friends with the current owner of the StudioBall, and I'll probably end up with it, too, but I chose the 3047 first.

The advice on plates for the body and collared lenses is very sound. I have a Kirk L-plate for my Nikon D100 and a Kirk plate on my Sigma 400mm lens. The Manfrotto and the StudioBall both had corresponding QR platforms, too. You will find that Really Right Stuff, Kirk and Wimberley all have high quality pieces in this genre, and the prices are similar. Others do too, I'm sure, I just don't know about them. I haven't gotten any for my 40D yet, but that's coming soon!

Anyway, if you have any specific questions about the gear I've got, I'll be happy to discuss it with you.

Cheers,

Philip

I have a junky (OK, it's not so bad...) "camera store brand" tripod that I bought for $75. I use it occasionally. It's tedious to set up, attach the proprietary plate to the bottom of the camera, and wiggles/jiggles a lot. I have a cheapo monopod with no tilt head - it just screws into my lens or camera.

I use the tripod when shooting still things. It's about useless to use following moving things, so I use the monopod instead. Admittedly, it's not an easy monopod to use, but it works.

Last month, I rented the 17mm tilt/shift. Since my tripod is too big for a suitcase, I rented a LensRentals "light weight" tripod for the week that I was in PA. Drool, drool, drool. Yep, it's light, but WOW was it sturdy and easy to use. It truly changed how I shoot still things, and in small ways it probably changed how I shoot handheld. Upon return to TX, I used my junky tripod for a photo contest, and realized why I didn't use that tripod too often.

All that leads to this: a quality tripod is now very high on my list. I will probably get an exact copy of what I rented, except for the lens plates (I want the Really Right Stuff angle brackets for my cameras - they just make so much sense).

My suggestion? Plan your purchase carefully - proper RRS camera plates for your camera(s), proper plates for any lenses with tripod feet, etc. Buy the tripod first, even though it's more expensive, but only when you can afford the plates and such. You can use the tripod as a monopod, but you can't use the monopod as a tripod.

Oh, and read this: http://www.bythom.com/support.htm
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

I have a junky (OK, it's not so bad...) "camera store brand" tripod that I bought for $75. I use it occasionally. It's tedious to set up, attach the proprietary plate to the bottom of the camera, and wiggles/jiggles a lot. I have a cheapo monopod with no tilt head - it just screws into my lens or camera.

I use the tripod when shooting still things. It's about useless to use following moving things, so I use the monopod instead. Admittedly, it's not an easy monopod to use, but it works.

Last month, I rented the 17mm tilt/shift. Since my tripod is too big for a suitcase, I rented a LensRentals "light weight" tripod for the week that I was in PA. Drool, drool, drool. Yep, it's light, but WOW was it sturdy and easy to use. It truly changed how I shoot still things, and in small ways it probably changed how I shoot handheld. Upon return to TX, I used my junky tripod for a photo contest, and realized why I didn't use that tripod too often.

All that leads to this: a quality tripod is now very high on my list. I will probably get an exact copy of what I rented, except for the lens plates (I want the Really Right Stuff angle brackets for my cameras - they just make so much sense).

My suggestion? Plan your purchase carefully - proper RRS camera plates for your camera(s), proper plates for any lenses with tripod feet, etc. Buy the tripod first, even though it's more expensive, but only when you can afford the plates and such. You can use the tripod as a monopod, but you can't use the monopod as a tripod.

Oh, and read this: [url="http://www.bythom.com/support.htm]http://www.bythom.com/support.htm[/url]

Your suggestions have been very helpful and thank you so much for the link. There was so much truth in it that it was humorous! I shall wait it out until I can afford a quality tripod and realize now I will be so much more ahead!

Thanks again!

Denise