Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ND Filter Advice wanted

Re: ND Filter Advice wanted

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    <p sizset="39" sizcache="5"]I'm looking forward to seeing some photos when you get back from your trip andgetting some more education!

Denise
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I usually learn mistakes after the fact. I will post some pics in a "how could I have done better" thread when I get back and find out what I should have done. At least with all the good advicein this threadI won't be able to blame it on my equipment.

Sean

Do you meter through the Genus? I see you checked the stop difference of the different marks. I am assuming since you hadn't checked it before thisyou meter as you adjust it with it on.

Also how about IQ loss using the Genus. From your post and picturesit appears you are not seeing a noticeable loss.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

Sean

Do you meter through the Genus? I see you checked the stop difference of the different marks. I am assuming since you hadn't checked it before thisyou meter as you adjust it with it on.

Also how about IQ loss using the Genus. From your post and picturesit appears you are not seeing a noticeable loss.

To be honest, I don't usually meter anything. I shoot manual, guess at my settings, then chimp on the LCD screen and adjust from there. But, for the test above, I put the filter on and set the camera to shutter priority. I used evaluative metering and kept the framing identical. I let the camera adjust the exposure with the filter in place, then simply took the filter off and took the same shot. I used the difference in apertures to calculate the light loss.

As far as IQ goes, I've never noticed a significant degredation image quality, save for one instance where I forgot to remove my UV filter before attaching the Genus. I ended up getting a pretty bad halo effect around the bride's wedding dress. So, I wouldn't necessarily recommend stacking filters when using the Genus.

I wanted to follow up on my comments above. First, I did find that the AE was underexposing with the B+W 106 mounted. It would get close, but often ~1 stop underexposed. Below are a couple pictures of Horseshoe falls during the day with mostly direct sun (a few high clouds). You can see that I needed to stop down to get the ribbon effect to the water that I like even with the B+W ND 106 filter mounted. All pics, 7D, 15-85, B+W ND 106.

The exposures do not line up perfectly, but I think you get the idea:

50 mm, 1/8 sec, f/5.6, ISO 100

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/0574.Falls-eighth-sec-IMG_5F00_2107.JPG[/img]

53 mm, 1/4 sec, f/10, ISO 100

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/8507.falls-quarter-sec-IMG_5F00_2109.JPG[/img]

31 mm, 0.5 sec, f/18, ISO 100

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/7002.Falls-IMG_5F00_2117.JPG[/img]

35 mm, 1 sec, f/22, ISO 100

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/8357.Falls-IMG_5F00_2101.JPG[/img]

Have a great trip, I just came back and ended up with some nice shots.

On a side note, watch the steam and spray in the geyser basins. I came away with some etching on my B+W filters. I recommend keeping a lens cap on whenever possible.

-Patrick

Patrick

That's a good warning. Even though your gear is waterproof, the water has geyserite in it, a form of silica. It gets in your gear it could cause havoc I am sure. When I was there last year I kept a lens cloth dedicated to keeping my camera and lens body clean. Then a second cloth for the lens, and finally kept the lens cap on in between every picture.

I hope you post a few of your shots. I could use the inspiration.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    ...importantly for me, the Genus Vari-ND comes in an 82mm filter (which fits my EF 16-35mm f/2.8<span style="color:#ff0000;"]L II and TS-E 24mm f/3.5<span style="color:#ff0000;"]L II - else, the darkest screw-in ND available is merely 2 stops).

Finally, B+W has delivered! Nearly a year ago, I had an email exchange with Schneider's customer service, inquiring about a 10-stop 82mm screw-in ND. Paul at Schneider informed me that they were investigating the feasibility of manufacturing such a filter for their Schneider line, and they've finally released one.

For anyone interested, it's Stock #68-043082, and in the US the only distributor offering them is 2filter.com (price is $226).

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    For anyone interested, it's Stock #68-043082, and in the US the only distributor offering them is 2filter.com (price is $226).

...and, I've just ordered one.

Wow.. some of those lenses on there are ungodly expensive. Made with Cinema in mind? Never seen an EOS mount lens for 4k before.

I suppose another option without even using a ND filter would be a longer exposure, say 15 sec, close to twilight.

Maybe you had posted them elsewhere, but did you get the shots you wanted?
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

The People Subtractor

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    ...and, I've just ordered one.
    Got a brief chance to try the new Schneider 82mm 10-stop ND out yesterday... The scene is a busy area of downtown Boston, the reflecting glass is side of the Hancock Tower, the tallest building in New England, dwarfing the Trinity Church across the street. Shots are with the 5DII + TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, +10 shift. The first shot is a 1/6 s exposure, the second is a 30 s exposure during which several pedestrians walked through the scene, along with cars passing between the buildings. Thanks to the long exposure, they're not visible. Like my B+W 77mm 10-stop ND, this 10-stop filter does warm up the color temperature a bit - I didn't correct in post because in this case (dull gray, overcast day), I think it's beneficial.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trinity-short.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	86 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trinity-long.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	85

Thanks for looking!

--John

EDIT: Wow, first time attaching vs. linking from Flickr. Pics uploaded here as attachments do take quite an IQ hit that goes along with the size reduction (~60% compression based on file size).
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 11-16-2011 at 07:49 PM.

nice.... around how much did the schneider Vari ND cost? and from whom did you buy it?