Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: High Range ISO---Saved Me

Re: High Range ISO---Saved Me

Quote Originally Posted by Alan

Richard, besides the messed up shot, did you see fewer in-focus keepers when using IS?

Hi Alan,

I don't see any fewer keepers when using IS. I've never actually done a side by side comparison, however I have frequently turned it on by accident (when my finger hits the button accidentally) and I haven't noticed any negative affects because of it.

I think that the IS works great for continuous action, and/or handholding, or with slower shutter-speeds, especially when using focal lengths of 300mm to 600mm and up when the image in the VF may appear unstable. When IS is on, it will settle down the image which can make tracking easier. I think the IS can be useful for Soccer, Lacrosse, and possibly Hockey when you can track a player longer.

I don't think it's as useful for Football (due to frequent starting and stopping of the action, as well as starting and stopping of the IS, plus my monopod makes the image stable), Basketball, Volleyball, or Tennis, also note that the latter sports are played on smaller courts and usually require shorter focal lengths anyway. I also think that IS is useful for Airplanes, Motor-sports, Birds in Flight, or stationary birds that are far away in low light (requiring slower shutter-speeds) when using a super-telephoto.

As you are aware, there is also less of a need for IS at faster shutter-speeds since the faster SS will compensate for any camera motion, and IS won't help freeze subject motion.

Note, that it's the "first shot" with IS that messes me up (if it's not up to speed), because it's like shooting a gun and aiming at your target and then just as you pull the trigger someone bumps into you, causing the bullet to miss it's intended target.

Rich

Richard et.al:

Shot another game yesterday--and as always, I learned some more lessons.

The game was at 4:00 pm with a north/south playing field in a bowl type stadium---of course the home bleachers and press box were on the west side which cast a very dark shadow right in the middle of the field amongst this very bright yellow sunset light over the remainder of the field....and of course, I had shiny white uniforms and burnt orange uniforms to deal with.

Lessons learned:

1. Although I am a manual shooter, sometimes you just have to let the camera do the work (isn't that why we pay big bucks for them)

2. Listen to the pro's ----Rich, you rock, I changed my AF from zone to point/surrounding points and turned off IS.... my keeper rate went up 10 fold ---over 75% of my shots were in focus--These tips combined made a huge difference. Thanks.

3. I have often cursed auto ISO, but in these conditions it was a life saver, all I had to worry about is tracking the subject. I am now a fan of Auto ISO.... in the right conditions.

Here are some of the results:

7D, 500L, IS off, AF set to point/surrounding points, AE set to evaluative, started with Shutter at 2000, F4.0, ISO Auto---when my ISO started jumping up to the 2000-3000 range, I reduced my shutter speed down to 1250.

here are the results---Very little post processing in these shots

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/6787.IMG_5F00_8342.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/3660.IMG_5F00_8744.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/4885.IMG_5F00_9262.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/7673.IMG_5F00_0084.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/7701.IMG_5F00_9220.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/0508.IMG_5F00_9650.jpg[/img]
    Bob

Love that one of no.45 swerving.

What

Quote Originally Posted by ham

Love that one of no.45 swerving.

What's the orange flying thing in the one below it?
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thanks Ham, That's a penalty flag that eventually led to that touchdown run being called back.
    Bob

I had never heard or seen them until now ("soccer" is the only football to me). Seems like a great idea though!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams

2. Listen to the pro's ----Rich, you rock, I changed my AF from zone to point/surrounding points and turned off IS.... my keeper rate went up 10 fold ---over 75% of my shots were in focus--These tips combined made a huge difference. Thanks.

Hey Bob,

You're too kind, these look great, glad I could help!

You have some clear running lanes and passing lanes and you've captured some nice action. These shots certainly speak for themselves and don't require any captions. The exposures look good too, despite some harsh lighting and tough shadows!

On the 1st shot, you should consider cropping out the two players on the right since they don't really add anything to the shot and they're not looking at the play.

Good anticipation on the handoff in the 2nd shot and great eye contact! Nice capture on the pass play too!

On the 4th shot, I usually like to see the ball, but you've nicely captured the intensity and concentration of the defender, which I think works well here!

Great Job, keep up the good work!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams
    That's a penalty flag that eventually led to that touchdown run being called back.

I know those words but that makes no sense.

Give me football where you don't use your hands any day.

Great pics, the yellow sunset definitely helps the colour, even the half-shadow one turned out good, well done.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

What great pics, sorry for the late hit on this thread, does that mean someone will throw another flag.

Generous coaching and expert lead blocking Rich, I love this site for these sort of tips.

Keep them, coming Bob.

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

@ Rich, thanks again for the advice---#2 is fixed--- After reviewing the rest of the shots I realized I forgot to mention another lesson learned:

1. If you have an opportunity for the perfect shot, the official will be in the way.

@ Dr. C

I don
    Bob

Wow, I remember the days of Tri-X (yea I am that old and that crusty)
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911