Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 50mm 1.2 and the Sigma 50mm 1.4

Re: Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 50mm 1.2 and the Sigma 50mm 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky

For what it's worth, there is no sharpening applied to any of the shots and the boxingbag is 1.85m in length. (6ft2in)
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Really sharp shooting Jan. The bokeh on the Sigma is very good. I am starting to lean towards this lens. How do you go with the focus speed?

I found the 50 1.2 focused fast, but when I reviewed the shots, I missed a few at wide open, when I was up close. Don't know if it was me or an unwilling edgy subject. Probably me.

I can't rent the Sigma, so if I go that path I have tobuy and hope for a good copy. The Canon 1.4is very good but fragile.

I also have a good collection of 77mm filters, which suits the Sigma.

Thanks for your help, I'm still undecided.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Re: Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 50mm 1.2 and the Sigma 50mm 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U
    I am starting to lean towards this lens. How do you go with the focus speed?

The focus speed is good. I'm not really shooting sports with it. I have done some shots in a triathlon though and in one occasion with an upcoming cyclist going about 40km/h minimum I had slight backfocus, but that could also be due to the shutterlag of my 5D2. Not the best camera for capturing that kind of shots. Here it is:

As you can see that between the pedals and the back-derailleur is actually the sharpest part. But nonetheless it might prove that AF is fast enough for a lot of purposes. And if you're planning to use it as a primary sportslens, you might want to look at another lens.Also I really think the 5D was the limiting factor for this shot.

The shot was at f2.8 ISO400 and 1/3200sec

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U

I can't rent the Sigma, so if I go that path I have tobuy and hope for a good copy. The Canon 1.4is very good but fragile.

I also have a good collection of 77mm filters, which suits the Sigma.

My thoughts exactly. To be honest I must say that I haven't heard of anyone who had a 100% sharp straight out of the box lens. So if you're going to buy it, make sure you can micro-adjust if necessary. And if you have the unfortunate luck of having both front and backfocussing, make sure you can trade or return it easily.

I knew that before I bought it and I just liked the Sigma a lot more than the Canon so I took the chance and I'm very happy that I did. Now I need to push myself to use it more often []

Jan