Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canon 85mm f/1.8

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Canon 85mm f/1.8

Quote Originally Posted by Gina Franco

Someone commented on the "jagged" background blur in this photo, but these "jags" look to me like nearby bright reflections--water, maybe?--and I want to mention that I've taken photos with the 85mm with backgrounds that are smooth and creamy. It partly depends on the distance of the background to the subject.

Gina

I fully agree with you Gina. I have seen many beautifully smooth backgrounds online of photos taken with this lens.
    Thank you for posting and letting me know how pleased you are with the lens ...I think everyone has sold me on it and the beautiful photos posted here clinched it!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Gina Franco
    So so so beautiful, John. Is she yours?

Thanks, Gina! Yes, that's our little one... []

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

One thing to point out about this lens' IQ, by way of full disclosure (Bryan doesn't mention it in his review, but other reviews like this one touch on it) - the 85mm f/1.8 does have sometimes-noticeable purple/green fringing in high-contrast lighting.

Thank you for pointing this out to me as being a possible "issue" with this lens but I don't find it to be that bad either. There are way too many good things about this lens for that to bother me enough to change my mind about purchasing it.

Thank you so much for posting this and helping me make a fully informative decision!!

Denise

This lens is on my short list.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

I think the 85 is too close to your 50mm, I'd get the 135mm f/2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by crosbyharbison

I think the 85 is too close to your 50mm, I'd get the 135mm f/2.0.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

My eye originally was on the 135mm f/2.0 for the longest timebut when I saw photos taken with the 85 and then saw the price of it, it sure sold me as a heck of a deal. I also thought with the 100mm 2.8L, do I really need the 135mm f/2.0 for $1000? It is a tough decision to make. I think I'm back on the fence again! [^o)]

Denise

Haha I feel honored to be mentioned as a motivation to get this lens.[H]

Here's a couple more examples of mine taken with the 85, and of course you've already seen the most recent ones in the portraits thread. All of these were taken with a 350D w/ the 85 wide open at f/1.8 with the exception of the middle one which was shot at f/3.2.

(^ It's a real, living monkey in this photo, even though it looks so posed and fake ^)

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett-Grimsley

Haha I feel honored to be mentioned as a motivation to get this lens.[img]/emoticons/emotion-11.gif[/img]

I was beginning to wonder when you were going to chime in since you ARE the reason behind this entire thread! See how we talk about you when you're not around!! [:P]

BTW: Another set of awesome photos with this lens! Thanks for sharing &amp; re-selling me on it! [Y]

Denise

Garrett, that second image is great. Great "pose", framing and exposure.