Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I need a Tripod.... Suggestions?

Re: I need a Tripod.... Suggestions?

and here is an compelling example using a 5DMK2 and the gorillapod focus gp8 on a balcony.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/redpilotmedia/3708770676/

Alan

There are different versions of the Gorillapod that vary in max load and price. That particular version is almost $100, I think. It had better be sturdy for that kind of money.

hotsecretary, I have just bought a 055XPROB and the 488RC4 head. I have 40D, battery grip, 70-200 2.8L and it works fine. First thing I did when I got it was add my 580exII to the load as well and test it out to see how it handled it. Clearly out of the magic three (cheap, strong, light: choose two as you never get all three) I chose cheap and strong and put up with the fact that its quite a unit to lug around though a case will help a lot with carrying.

BTW I forgot to tell you guys buy I've finally got a tripod. It's a Manfrotto 190XB with the Manfrotto 486RC2. I know I know... I've been talking so much about the Feisol tripods, but:

1. I couldn't see one before buying it and I a tripod is something that I wanted to test before I buy. I could buy a DSLR without "playing" with it before as long as it's a Canon but I really had to play with the tripod before I buying it.

2. I wanted something that can get REALLY low for macro photography and no other tripod that I've heard of can get as low as few of the Manfrottos can.

3. Money - ordering a Feisol from the USA to here (shipping + taxes) would have cost me twice as the the Manfrotto did.

So anyway, just wanted to share it with you so if you are looking for a tripod and wanted to know more about the 190XB than what you can find on the net - you can ask me []