I just sold my beloved Sigma 85mm and my Canon 100mm 2.8L lens and now I need to find an affordable alternative for a macro lens.

Main points to consider - Price, hand-holdable, sharp, smooth background, 1:1 magnification, versatility. What anyone wants from their macro lens!

Here is what I think my options are ...

Sigma 70mm Macro - I can't find it used but the new price is in my range. I owned it, I know I can hand-hold it a get pretty sharp images. I like the images I did get from it. Background was smooth, worked nice as a portrait lens also. Negative & why I sold it - slowest lens on the planet and noisy. But when I sold it, I knew I still had the Canon 100mm macro as backup. Now, maybe I would be accepting of its limitations and appreciate its abilities more.

Sigma 105mm OS Macro - For slightly more than the 70mm, I can pick up a used "never used" copy online that is still under warranty. It has OS, fast focusing. Length is alittle longer than than the Sigma 85mm that I really liked but not a huge issue and actually maybe a plus for nervous insects and such & help me not create shadow. The speed would give me the versatility for when I am in the garden taking macro shots and the dogs or grandkids are out and about in the yard. It accepts both Canon & Sigma TC's if that ever comes into play later on. The negative - I can't find a real lot of reviews or feedback on this lens. I know when I got a good copy of the Sigma 70mm, 50mm & 85mm, 17-50mm the Sigma was very pleasing.

Canon 100mm L non-IS Macro - Can't beat the used price of this lens but I am worried the non-IS on a lens this size will be an issue for macro work. I can use a tripod for flowers but not when chasing butterflies and other insects or when going to some botanic gardens.

Maybe someone can explain what I am looking at here (the 105mm is with OS, I just forgot to mark it as such) ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MTF Macro Charts.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	980
Is the 105mm the better one as far as these charts show? I don't understand them very well.

FYI - My photos posted on Flickr taken with the Sigma 70mm Macro ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1808587...7629585699800/

Suggestions much appreciated!

Denise