Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My most wanted list, anything more to add?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: My most wanted list, anything more to add?

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-400mm-f-4.0-DO-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Only problem with it seems to be the DO part....

The 5.6, at 5.6 other than the IS, kicks it's butt on clarity.

Dan has an interesting list- in particular, the long slow lenses... I've often wondered why they aren't more of them made, *especially*macro, where the reach is very useful and (very expensive) wide aperture isn't. Part of the problem with a long macro, though, is the huge amount of travel required... to be able to focus on infinity and at 1x, a 300mm macro would require a foot (300mm) of travel. So it might be a heavy tube. On the other hand, it would have barely more aperture-- and probably less glass-- than lightweights like the 100mm f/2 and 85mm f/1.8.

I've noticed that slow lenses tend to be more expensive than faster ones of the same aperture. (For example, 400mm f/5.6 costs more than 200mm f/2.8, 800mm f/5.6 costs more than 400mm f/2.8). Faster optics of a given aperture should be much less expensive to make, so I'm not sure why this is. Anyone out there have a clue?

I happen to own a very sharp 800mm f/8 lens manual focus lens (otherwise known as a 4" refracting telescope), and it cost under $2000. One can get them cheaper than that, and I would say that in general, telescopes (refractors, anyway) can make decent long slow mf lenses if you are aware of certain drawbacks. Below is a link to a sample pic. (I'm not holding it up as an example of good photography, mind you , or even as a good use of the 800mm f/8. It's just what I got when I told my daughter to stand still 20 feet from the lens). The sharp vignetting is caused by a star diagonal, which I didn't have to use. The pic is much sharper than it looks in this scaled down version (a 100% crop reveals more detail, like tiny wrinkles on my 6-year-old daughter's perfect skin).

http://picasaweb.google.com/jonruyle/January2009#5301770473802868274

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle
    I've noticed that slow lenses tend to be more expensive than faster ones of the same aperture. (For example, 400mm f/5.6 costs more than 200mm f/2.8, 800mm f/5.6 costs more than 400mm f/2.8). Faster optics of a given aperture should be much less expensive to make, so I'm not sure why this is. Anyone out there have a clue?

I've wondered about this a lot as well. In the case of the 200 f/2.8, I think the reason is aberration correction. The 400 f/5.6 is corrected to a much higher standard than the 200 f/2.8. In fact, the 400mm f/5.6 has even less aberrations than the 400mm f/2.8 (when both are wide open).

The 800mm f/5.6 is definitely an outlier. Some have postulated opportunism on Canon's part, but who knows what the reason is.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Arial;"]14-24/2.8L &ndash; Nikon has one and it&rsquo;s phenomenal.

The problem with a 14mm lens is that it is too concave to support a filter thread. And I can't imagine shooting landscapes without the option to use a CPL filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Arial;"]EOS 1D Mark IV &ndash; I know this camera will arrive just in a while. Hopefully it can match D3 in performance, FF and IQ while surpass it by offering better resolution. I will get one when available.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

EOS-1D Mark IV that has both a super-fast frame rate and a full-frame sensor, now that would be something!

I'd bet a decent amount of money the 1D IV will be FF.

If it is, I will have a hard time not buying it. I'll probably sell my 5D2.

I'd love to have the focusing speed. 5D2 really lacks on the outer focus points even on fast lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

I'd bet a decent amount of money the 1D IV will be FF.

If it is, I will have a hard time not buying it. I'll probably sell my 5D2.

I'd love to have the focusing speed. 5D2 really lacks on the outer focus points even on fast lenses.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Agree, that's why I went for a 50D for digital recently since it doesn't go deep into my wallet and it is fast. I somehow found thatspeed is not an issue for the9-point focusing system, however, the coverage on 5D is pathetic especially if you compare with a 1-series body... I'll be sure to get the 1D IV if it's overall better than the D3, and probably my 1V-HS will retire soon after

I am shocked that Canon hasn't gone FF with the 1D. Afterall, it would force people to buy a 400mm or 500mm lens when they have been getting away with a 300mm x the crop factor!

Dear Canon, please make the 1D Mark IV FF! I promise that I will buy one!

Me, too. If it is full frame and not substantially more expensive than the 1D III, I want it. But then, I'm not the target market

They have, it is called a 1Ds, otherwise the 1D and the 1Ds would be redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob

They have, it is called a 1Ds, otherwise the 1D and the 1Ds would be redundant.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I thought the idea was that the 1D would have lower resolution. 1D and 1Ds would be more like the Nikon D3 and D3x. Hopefully with a similar price ratio...

Nikon has shown that it is possible to make a full frame camera with a pro body that doesn't cost $6000...