Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help convincing wife!

Re: Need help convincing wife!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin

Benjamin, buy your lenses before you get married, and/or make a lot of money using them
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I see what you mean, I'll do[]

If I may disagree with Dallasphotog for a second let me suggest you not make beautiful prints of the 21 month old. This will only convince her that your current lens is good enough. May I suggest you not try and convince your wife at all. Buy the 50 1.4 without telling her. It's about the same size as your kit lens and she won't notice. Take beautiful picutures of the child. Blow those up to poster size and when she comments on how great they are, still don't tell her. Keep your kit lens well hidden and only use it surreptitiously. My wife still doesn't realize I have 3 camera bodies and 6 L lenses. She thinks I still only have a 40D and 17-55mm F2.8 and I like it that way. Well it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RonG

If I may disagree with Dallasphotog for a second let me suggest you not make beautiful prints of the 21 month old. This will only convince her that your current lens is good enough. May I suggest you not try and convince your wife at all. Buy the 50 1.4 without telling her. It's about the same size as your kit lens and she won't notice. Take beautiful picutures of the child. Blow those up to poster size and when she comments on how great they are, still don't tell her. Keep your kit lens well hidden and only use it surreptitiously. My wife still doesn't realize I have 3 camera bodies and 6 L lenses. She thinks I still only have a 40D and 17-55mm F2.8 and I like it that way. Well it works for me.

Aman with guts!

Newsflash. I got approval for the lens!

Difficulty: It's backordered, everywhere. At least where it's not $400. B&amp;H has it for $325 (best I've found so far), but it's backordered and they're closed for Purim anyway. Ugh, what a chain of events. If anyone wants to go on a hunt, I'd appreciate it. I guess I'm asking for a lot with price and availability.

Quote Originally Posted by davideglasgow

Newsflash. I got approval for the lens!

Difficulty: It's backordered, everywhere. At least where it's not $400. B&amp;H has it for $325 (best I've found so far), but it's backordered and they're closed for Purim anyway. Ugh, what a chain of events. If anyone wants to go on a hunt, I'd appreciate it. I guess I'm asking for a lot with price and availability.

Closed on Purim? Not exactly a high holiday. But there is alot of drinking , so maybe it's for the best!

Amazon says "ships in 2-4 weeks" which isn't what you want, but it is only $315, free shipping.

Man, it's already up to $353. I guess I wasn't quick enough on the draw!

I guess they raised it.

<b class="sans"]<span style="color: #990000;"]Important Message[/b]

<span style="color: #990000;"]Please note that the price of Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM Standard &amp; Medium Telephoto Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
    has increased from $314.99 to $353.99 since you placed it in your
    Shopping Cart. Items in your cart will always reflect the most recent
    price displayed on their product detail pages.

I put it in my cart just after I posted.

Evil.

Crap, I should have just bought one.... Poop!

Quote Originally Posted by davideglasgow

I assume many of you have been in the same position with your spouse before. I recently purchased a Rebel XS with kit lens. Needless to say, I'm not really that impressed with the kit lens, as it simply is not fast enough for indoor photography of a hyperactive 21-month old. I want the 50mm f/1.4 badly.However, this takes a bit of convincing of my wife, who is not "into" photography, only sees the fact that I just dropped $500 on the camera not too long ago, and desperately wants a new house (which is going to happen regardless of this $325 lens). Anyway, what are some strategies you have used in these types of situations?
    I'd suggest that you be reasonable but buy what you need and tell her to deal with it.