Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upgrade 50mm f/1.8 to 50mm f/1.4?

Re: Upgrade 50mm f/1.8 to 50mm f/1.4?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    Yeah that is pretty much what I'm saying.

Impressive. Does your copy have a lot of CA at f/1.2? Mine sure does. Not so bad that it would be apparent in this pic, but it is often quite apparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lee
    I got second place or something a couple of years ago over at the digital photography school site for shooting wide open with this shot:

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Impressive. Does your copy have a lot of CA at f/1.2? Mine sure does. Not so bad that it would be apparent in this pic, but it is often quite apparent.

Thanks. In all honesty the 85L is the sharpest, most vivid lens I have ever shot with.

It does have a bit of CA wide open (not as bad as my 35L though). I haven't experienced train wreck CA like I have seen others. I guess it is entirely possible I have a (dern near) perfect copy.

And maybe my 50 f/1.4 is better than some.

When I get some time I'll post pics from my 85 to give an idea of sharpness and CA as a comparison to yours.

I'll say this: Ken Rockell's suggestion that the 85 f/1.2 be used wide open for astrophotography is seems even more laughable to me now than when I first read it (before I tried the 85 f/1.2)

<span class="nowrap"]Also, Shieky, it may be a your personal preference, but the norm that I see followed is 85mm on FF and 50mm on crop for waist up portraits. Personally, I do not like the 50 1.4 on FF for portrait. I much prefer 70mm plus. The 85 1.8 has been on my list for quite some time. I would think that lens rather long for a crop sensor T2i camera.

Thanks for replying Chuck. I know what the norm is, but I just didn't like 50mm on a crop-camera at all. Of course at the time I was using the 50mm 1.8 which I didn't like anyway. But honestly I really like the 50mm on full frame. It totally madesense to me why this was "the" standard lens for 35mm camera's. I haven't used an 85mm lens on full frame yet, but I must say that the 100mm macro is also a very nice portrait lens [A]

<span class="nowrap"]There used to be a saying... something like "f8 is safe" or "safe at f8" After thousands of photo's I understand why.

Well...safe isn't always exiting is it? [:P]

Ps: welcome back [Y]

Quote Originally Posted by Jan "Sheiky" Paalman

Is that because of the lens-specifications aka sharpness etc or because you like the depth of field of f2.8?

I think it's a little bit of both

I see. I think f2 is my favorite aperture for my 50mm 1.4. For the same reasons