Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NEW: Self-Portrait (Sean & Amber) using the Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5

Re: Self-Portrait using the Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5

Hmmmm...I never really wanted a ultra-wide butyou're aregetting meinterested.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

I never wanted one until quite recently, but it's an absolute blast to use. It's simply the most fun piece of optical equipment in my bag.

Sean, nice work, I am very taken by the IQ , I did not expect that. This is a very nice lens and you are really in charge of it [Y]

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    I never wanted one until quite recently, but it's an absolute blast to use.

...and folks listen to what Sean just said! I love my 10-22. It's not for all occasions, but it's really great fun to use in buildings, tight streets, etc. Mine as currently at the Canon Service Center (it picked up a foreign object under its front element) and I'm getting severe withdrawl symptoms!

It's simply the most fun piece of optical equipment in my bag.

This was the case for me to... until I got my Lensbaby Composer! :-)

Sean, I'm glad you like the 10-22. I also have to say I'm quite disappointed the trouble you had with the Tok, as it's been getting glorious reviews.

Tony

I love, LOVE my 16-35 on my FF. I think more people would want ultra-wide if more people tried them.

Still loving the Canon 10-22...used it on a paid maternity shoot this morning (haven't done post on those yet), and used it for a shot of myself and my girlfriend this evening. You see, it's been 3 1/2 years and I had never gotten a good picture of us together. The problem is that it was just too frustrating using the timer and walking over to the camera after ever shutter release. Today, however, I got another Cybersync CST & a motor cord (from flashzebra). With the 2nd CST and motor cord, I can wirelessly trigger the shutter. This made a portrait of me and Amber much, much easier. Oh yes, and I also used my new MaxSaver flexible tripod. I used the flexible tripod to attach a strobe to some limbs behind us to create the "sun."

strobist: 1 Vivitar 285HV, camera left, 1/2 power, shot through a white umbrella. 1 Vivitar 285, full power, right behind subjects, 1/2 CTO gelled, bare and used to simulate the sun coming through the trees. This particular strobe was attached to some tree limbs using my new MaxSaver flexible tripod. Both strobes triggered via Cybersyncs. If I had been thinking clearly, I would have gelled the mainlight too. Sorry, no setup shot.

Absolutely wonderful, Sean.

Funny how much work went in to this when it portrays such a casual relaxing feeling. Sun through trees effect is perfect.

As always, great picture. You really made a good job with the "sun" lol, I actually was sure it's the sun - you got me with this one [:P]

When it came to that shoot, I moved the "sun" around almost half a dozen times before I found the composition I liked the most. The best (easiest) places to hang the flash seemed to be on the left side of the frame, yet there's a building over there and it looked quite silly to have the "sun" in front of the building. The last place I moved the flash to was on the far right hanging on the lamp post. That composition worked really well, but I didn't like any of the pictures as much as this one. I will certainly use this little trick again. ;-)

I moved the "sun" around almost half a dozen times before I found the composition I liked the most.
    COOL, does it make you feel godlike?
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9