Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sell EF 17-40 f/4 and get EF-S 17-55 f/2.8?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Sell EF 17-40 f/4 and get EF-S 17-55 f/2.8?

I had the 17-40mm L as well as the 17-55mm. The 17-55mm stayed on my 40D all the time. Eventually, I used the 17-40mm on my 5D MK II, but while good, it just did not seem to be that good, so I sold it and bought a 17mm prime and a 35mm L.

Unfortunately, I found that after buying the 35mm L, the 40D just gathered dust so I sold it and later reluctantly sold the 17-55.

Re: Sell EF 17-40 f/4 and get EF-S 17-55 f/2.8?

Just throwing my support behind the 17-55. It is a wonderful lens. I will say, though, that a few times when I'm leaving the house, that I debate whether or not to take it with me, because it is pretty darn heavy, and big. Sometimes I just grab my zooms and primes, and then my s90 for wide shots. I kind of wish I still just had my 18-55 kit lens for times when I'm shooting in good lighting and don't need a really shallow DOF. But when shooting in low light, the 17-55 has been outstanding. A lot of great shots at concerts with this lens, and the IS definitely makes a difference. I debated the 17-40 for a long time, and the fact that I shoot a lot of low light shots was the deciding factor.

One thing I recently discovered, though, is what a great lens it is for video on the 7D. Great DOF for video, and pretty good focal length range for most shots.

Also- I'm on my second copy. The first one was really bad at the wide end, even after microadjustment. Both copies were from Adorama refurbished. The second one seems much much better. But definitely check out the focus at both ends when you get it.