Okay, so I really enjoy landscape photography, it's pretty much my biggest area of interest. I've only had a dSLR now for just shy of two months, so I'm just starting to understand the use of the aperture for depth of field, obviously something that is very important in landscape photography.

With my previous camera (S2 IS), I really never used anything but the Program mode, and never took the time to really understand what Av and Tv really were for, other than to use for long exposures at night.

So now I learn about this thing called hyperfocal distance. I understand that even with landscapes, I'm not always going to want to have everything in the frame in focus. But obviously a good bit of the time, I will. Not a problem, just get a hyperfocal distance table to find out what the distance is for whatever aperture and focal length you are using.

But then what? How on earth do I really know if the spot I'm focusing on is 16ft from the sensor? There aren't any distance markings on my lens (17-55mm f/2.8) other than the little tiny distance window on the top that gives about 4 numbers between 1.2ft and infinity. Are you really supposed to guesstimate when trying to utilize hyperfocal distance?

Or do you just focus for a spot one-third of the way from the bottom of the viewfinder when it's centered on what your final composition is going to be?

Thanks...

alex