Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: focus question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sedwards View Post
    shooting from inside the car results in NO real nice shots
    I do not know how big of a problem heat waves are in the winter, but I do know having the car running has always been my bigger problem. The car running induces a lot of vibration... and I suppose when I shut it off the heater goes off as well so less heat waves.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Stuart - Congrats on the improved results --- they look great. I shoot from inside my car all the time, essentially using it as a portable blind. Animals tend to be much less spooked by a stopped vehicle, as compared to a person standing outside. When I'm looking for wildlife, I dress warmly and keep the inside of the car as cold as I can stand it. When an animal shows up, I drop all the windows and shut off the heater completely. Then as soon as I maneuver into a good position, I turn off the engine. This way I manage to avoid the heat distortion, and get a chance to experience the encounter for as long as possible. Here's an example from a couple months ago:

The wolf completely ignored me, and a few moments later, ambled right past my car less than 3 metres away.