Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Got the 7D?

Re: Anyone Got the 7D?

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

Hmmm Don... the viewfinder in the 7D is 100% coverage but it's not as large as, say, a 5D viewfinder. Am I missing something? It's a APS-C camera, and so the viewfinder's size should match it.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

According to Bob Atkins,

The EOS 7D has a 100% 1x optical viewfinder. The 50D has a 95% 0.95x viewfinder and the 5D MkII has a 98% 0.71x viewfinder.

Once you take the mulitplier into account
    • EOS 7D - 0.62
    • EOS 50D - 0.56
    • EOS 5D MkII - 0.7

According to Don Burkett

Based on the numbers it depends how you want to look at it. But I think the viewfinder is big, beautiful and impressive. Can't imagine it getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

Quote Originally Posted by Don Burkett

I'm certain official reviews will start to hit the web pretty soon.

No offense, I don't mind sharing my opinions but I bought the camera to take photos, not psychoanalyze it.

The point was that even though the 7D has a lower DLA than other 1.6 FOVCF sensors, it will still resolve more detail. I was hoping to set Tony's mind at ease. I'll leave the analysis to Daniel Browing for he does it better than most, but I have learned a ton from reading his posts and thought I would try to share the knowledge.

Enjoy your 7D. It seems to be an awesome body. If I didn't have a 50D (and a serious craving for a 5D) it would certainly make my wishlist :-)

By the way, I love your macro work so I am very excited to see some examples from your new camera!

Truly I hope no offense was taken. When my skills get so refined that I can out execute a camera's performance I'll probably develop a different mindset. In the meantime I limit my valuation of simple things: Does it have features that improve the quality of my experience, and is it's performance refined at a high enough level that I believe I'm getting value from the dollar spent. I normally wait for thorough reviews to help my decision and while I took this one on faith, so far am not disappointed. Thanks for the nice comments on my macros but also note, you'll rarely see max IQ in my shots, because I use filters on everything, including the macros lenses.

Don - no, I don't take it into account. I was talking on the physical size.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Printezis

Stealthily :-), Bryan added comparative shots from the 50D, 7D, 5DmkII etc. to his 7D review page. I have to say, I am not impressed.

Tony

Really? I didn't think it was too bad. I tested by running across the top T1i line, which shows both a 5DmkII and 7D border, allowing some comparison across bodies. To my eye it looks like at ISO 100-1600, the 7D is roughly 1 stop noisier than the 5DmkII, and at 3200-12800, it's identical. Considering how much people complain about how much extra noise there will be because it's a crop sensor packing in so many pixels, I didn't think it was that bad. It's 1 stop more noise than Canon's best performing DSLR. It's also 1 stop cheaper in price for the body, and the 1.6x crop can make the long range telephoto lenses a stop or two cheaper in price too.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston
    Considering how much people complain about how much extra noise there will be because it's a crop sensor packing in so many pixels

Read Daniel Browning's Myth Busted thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

Don - no, I don't take it into account. I was talking on the physical size.

Then, I truly think you would be very happy with the 7d viewfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston
    Considering how much people complain about how much extra noise there will be because it's a crop sensor packing in so many pixels

Read Daniel Browning's Myth Busted thread.

I have. It doesn't say you won't ever see more noise with more pixels/inch. His post says that if you take a high megapixel image and resize to a lower MP count, your image will be just as good, if not better than the camera that had the lower MP sensor to begin with. On the other hand, if you don't resize, but look at a 100% crop, you WILL see more noise.

You can take advantage of the extra resolution and crop more at low ISOs. At higher ISOs you'll want to resize to a lower megapixel count, losing the extra resolution, along with the noise.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

It's not about resizing, it's about smaller pixels having more noise than larger one, they don't. The larger SENSOR has better noise. Thats why 1.6 crop camerashave worst noisefor the same framing. If you were taking a picture of a bird, and you were staying at a fixed location, you won't have any benifit from a full-frame camera. But if you creapt up more and maintained your framing, you will benifit from the full-frame camera.Because the35mm sensoris gathering more light for the image size than the 1.6 camera, among other things.Think of pixel wells as little dividers, putting more or less dividers won't increase noise.

Gotta agree with Don. I love this camera! It is so very simple to use, and FEELS nice in my hand. I am as green as they come in digital photography, and make people jealous when I tell them what's in my kit bag(I was saving for a Ducati 848 and decided I shouldn't buy it). I went with the T1I then sold it when I found out the 7D was coming out. My friend is saving for the 5d MK2. She's a professional photographer.

At this stage in my experimenting with my new toys, I can see growing into this camera for a very long time. Don't see the absolute need or want for a full frame camera. When I do, maybe I'll get one. But man, the 7D seems to have more than what I need or want for that matter!

Whatever you have, enjoy it! Have fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eksmaan
    At this stage in my experimenting with my new toys, I can see growing into this camera for a very long time

You have until Oct 2, 2010........[] LOL That's what I said when I bought my first of seven DSLR'sfour years ago!!