Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let's Talk Humming Birds

Re: Let's Talk Humming Birds

Here's a shot using a multiple flash set-up. Canon 40D, 70-200mm 2.8L, camera mounted 430ex, 2 remote 430ex's fired with pocket wizards. All the flashes were manually set to 1/32 output. Camera settings: 1/200 sec, f13, iso 160. The background set up needs works but this illustrates the "freezing the wings" method pretty well.[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.28/IMG_5F00_2435.jpg[/img]

Joel.....really nicely done....great detail.

I can see we're capturing our subject from different approaches.

I shoot w/natural light, normally trying to capture a "ghost" effect w/the wings as in the this first shot; f5.6, 1/160th (my slowest sharp head capture), ISO 800, 40D/100-400 (360mm at approximately 10' from feeder). This one was captured shooting West w/filtered light coming thru the forest.

This 2nd shot was taken at approximately 20' in mid morning bright light behind me. My garden goes into complete shade at about 11am. Capture; f7.1, 1/2000, ISO 640, 350mm

How far away to set up from your subjects?

Regards

Bill

Bill,

The feeder you see in the picture is on our living room window and there is japanese maple tree close to it (3 ft. or so) I usually position myself between that tree and the house. Sort of hidden from view until the hummers approach the feeder. I am probably 4-5 feet away. The remote flash units on light stands are even closer...maybe 2 feet or so. The feeder is shaded by the tree and the eave of the house almost all day. This actually helps with the flash technique (ie less ambient light) but not so good for natural light. The flash really brings out the iridescence in a way that does lookunatural but beautiful at the same time. Iwant to try some small diffusers or soft boxes to see if I can get a little more natural look. (always wanting to buymore gear) I may also try to hang a flower or plant to give a better background.

I tried natural light shots as well but I'm fascinated with this flash technique of freezing high speed events. The natural light shots look more like a hummingbird to the naked eye. The 2nd shot you posted is cool, the color is more realistic and of course the wings are blurred as we normally see them.I like that type of shot too butI can't seem to resist the curiosity of trying to capture what the eye cannot see.

Joel

Bill, Here is one from last summer without flash, this was also with the 40D 70-200mm 2.8L at 1/2000 sec. f8 ISO 640,[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.28/IMG_5F00_9490.jpg[/img].