Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What did you shoot, July 19th through July 25th

Re: What did you shoot, July 19th through July 25th

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto

Denise, congratulations on your 35mm1.4L! I like the butterfly very much.

Thank you very much! I love your bird photos! I really wish I had more types of birds around here to photograph, I'm very envious of your last one!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson

Denise, your poor dog...what happened? Did she jump to high after one of those bubbles???

lol ...no, the brace was a failed attempt to make it so he couldn't reach & bite his back paws. He had made quite a mess of them and caused an infection. He is allergic to our grass amongst a hundred other things (even house dust)! He costs me more $$ then my photo gear!

I love your butterfly photos - I have the same gear and for the life of me, I can't figure out why I can't get photos that sharp!

Denise

Thank you for the comments Denise. On both of my lenses that I have used, I did MA them with my 7d recently and that helped out a bunch. Both only took just a little, but it wasnoticeable. Maybe give that a shot.

As for the allergy your dog has, mine had that too and we had to put him in one of those cones. Was hilarious!

Jayson

Quote Originally Posted by MattG

I really like this shot. i have a friend asking for me to take some pics of their new born. Any tips?

G'day Matt,

The biggest tip I can give you is to be very patient. This little one was only a week old so it's basically sleep, feed, cry, feed, cry, spew, sleep, feed and so on. We ended up putting the shoot on hold after a couple of hours as she was getting a little restless. I'll wait until she's a couple more weeks old and starts to smile and we'll have another go.

Another important this is to establish what the parents are comfortable with. A baby's skin is so soft and a wonderful contrast to the rough skin of the father etc but some parents aren't comfortable showing too much of the bub. Completely understandable for Mum and Dan,but a little sad that people have to think of exposing their kids to the public in case it falls into the wrong hands.

If you're friends with the parents then it's definately a good idea to have a few beers while doing the shoot. This has nothing to do with the outcome at all, I just like beer.

I'll put a couple more up later on. Have fun.

Cheers, Ben.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor
    If you're friends with the parents then it's definately a good idea to have a few beers while doing the shoot. This has nothing to do with the outcome at all, I just like beer.

Amen to that![B][Y]

I totally agree with Ben about the baby shoot. Takes lots of patients. Good luck. For some poses, check outhttp://kelleyryden.com/blog/

I had a friend do a shoot with her recently and the pictures were amazing to say the least. She said the total shoot took about 3 hours.

Have fun with the baby shoot. After all, that what it is all about.[]

Jayson

I shot this one while riding the local bike trail. I came across a bumpy wooden bridge that serendipitously added some nice motion blur.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.43.06/DSC01002.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/400x700/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.43.06/DSC01002.jpg[/img]

Bob;

Nice collection, I particularly like the gnarly B&W wood and I'll second what Jonathan said about the waterfall.

Questions; whyare the ISOs and shutter speeds so high on the yellow flowerand stump pix? BTW...nice bokeh on the 2 of these, about as good as you're going to get w/the 100-400.

Where abouts in N. NM were you? My wife and I are heading out after Labor Day....home base will be ABQ w/plans to do an overnight in White Sands (unfortunately the moon will be at about 3% and waningby the time we get there)and then head up to the Taos area for the scenic ring drive. Any suggestions?

Regards

Bill

Thanks Bill. The ISO's were set high because it was very overcast, dark and rainy that day----and even with IS I still haven't managed to develop good/steady handholding technique with my 100-400. So I risk noise for a sharper image.

I live in a Los Lunas, a small town 20 miles south of Albuquerque

Regarding Your NM Trip: My favorite place to go for scenic mountains and wildlifeis The Gila National forest in south western NM, there are also cave dwellings and lots of other scenic opportunities. The Gila is about 200 miles south of Albuquerque.

Taos is also a good choice--

Near Taos is a town called Chama--There is lots to see and do there--Photographically speaking. If you go to Chama, stop by the vistors center and ask about photographic opportunities--The ladies there are very knowlegable. If you catch sunrise and sunset, there are lots of wildlife opportunities---Bear, Elk, Deer etc.

Closer to Albuquerque---You can drive up to Sandia Crest (10,600 feet) for a nice overlook of Albuquerque and a very nice, but easyhiking trail along the crest line.--If you choose to do this, take the back road up the mountain through Placitas--Its a dirt road, but should be passable by car this time of year---if you have a four wheel drive--no worries. Anyway, take this road up to the crest, then come back down via the paved road--Again, lots of scenery and possibilities for wildlife. We have had a lot of bear activity this year, so there is a good chance you may spot one or two. Twilight is a wonderful time to be on the crest to catch the city lights just as the sunlightfades over the horizon. There is also a good restaurant up there with a deck that you can set your tripod up on.

Enjoy your trip---and let me know if you want to know more---One more thing, Try white sands in the late afternoon, just before sunset, the shadowing and character of the dunes are much more interesting that time of day---early morning is also good

Hope this helps,

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor

Quote Originally Posted by MattG

I really like this shot. i have a friend asking for me to take some pics of their new born. Any tips?

G'day Matt,

The biggest tip I can give you is to be very patient. This little one was only a week old so it's basically sleep, feed, cry, feed, cry, spew, sleep, feed and so on. We ended up putting the shoot on hold after a couple of hours as she was getting a little restless. I'll wait until she's a couple more weeks old and starts to smile and we'll have another go.

Another important this is to establish what the parents are comfortable with. A baby's skin is so soft and a wonderful contrast to the rough skin of the father etc but some parents aren't comfortable showing too much of the bub. Completely understandable for Mum and Dan,but a little sad that people have to think of exposing their kids to the public in case it falls into the wrong hands.

I'll put a couple more up later on. Have fun.

Cheers, Ben.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Thanks for advice Ben! I took a few not too long ago of a friends little girl. They can be a handful but I think they make great subjects!

T1i + 50 1.4

<table style="width: auto;"]
    <tbody>
    <tr>
    <td>[url="http://picasaweb.google.ca/lh/photo/LFiRMMvjwNZ-He8TEN-ZLg?feat=embedwebsite][/url]</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right"]From My Portfolio</td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>