Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: House Finale shot on 5DII's...."It's the future."

Re: House Finale shot on 5DII's...."It's the future."

DLP. [N]

Captain Caveman. [Y] Especially with a big bowl of cocoa puffs. Ahhhh, takes me back.

[:P]

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

I didn't see anyone post this info so here we go:

Red One is about an APS-C sized sensor at 4k resolution where the 5D mkII is 5.6k.

Movie theater projectors are 2048 dpi. So I'd be willing to bet the firmware in the 5DII's on movie sets are hacked to produce at least the 2048 dpi.

A bit late, but thanks!

Ps: great picture haha []

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky

Still videocameras used for films are a LOT better than the 5D. I can't imagine they would use a 5D for a serious cinematic movie.

I mean 1080p full-hd sounds like a lot, but professional cameras use a much greater resolution. And I'm not sure what resolution cinemas render, but I'm guessing it's greater than 1080p.

For TV-appliances it's a great tool though, since it will never demand a greater resolution than 1080p. At least not for now [img]/emoticons/emotion-13.gif[/img]

Red One is about an APS-C sized sensor at 4k resolution where the 5D mkII is 5.6k.

Movie theater projectors are 2048 dpi. So I'd be willing to bet the firmware in the 5DII's on movie sets are hacked to produce at least the 2048 dpi.

If I may be so bold as to intervene, movie theater projectors are, in fact, not 2048 Dots Per Inch. The three imaging devices in a DLP Cinema projector are currently 2048 x 1080p resolution. There is a separate imager for red, green and blue channels. I haven't bothered to look this up, but I am pretty certain that most DLP Cinema presentations not in CinemaScope use 1998 x 1080 to maintain the proper aspect ratio. The 2048 max width allows a wider screen when used with the typical anamorphic lens, which stretches the image source laterally with a 1.33:1 ratio. This in combination with the full 2048 imager width provides for an approximately 2.70:1 aspect ratio, for epic stuff like Ben Hur without the need for scaling, which might well be visible and undesirable on a screen the size of those in typical commercial theaters.

The reasoning for this is partially the fact that most movies currently are shot with CinemaScope or equivalent aspect ratios, which are roughly 2.37:1. Movies that are not shot with Scope are shot using Academy Standard, or flat, which is 1.85:1. This is very near the HDTV standard, obviously.

This differs from the chipset that most consumer grade displays use, which is 1920 x 1080p. The sensor in the 5D is 1.78:1 or 16:9, though certainly with further cropping, or even better an anamorphic lens attachment, it would be fine for 2.37:1 stuff.

The Red is a very good camera. My business partner just helped with a movie that was shot on a Red and is now being considered for distribution by Sony Providence.

Quote Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky

Still videocameras used for films are a LOT better than the 5D. I can't imagine they would use a 5D for a serious cinematic movie.

I mean 1080p full-hd sounds like a lot, but professional cameras use a much greater resolution. And I'm not sure what resolution cinemas render, but I'm guessing it's greater than 1080p.

For TV-appliances it's a great tool though, since it will never demand a greater resolution than 1080p. At least not for now [img]/emoticons/emotion-13.gif[/img]

If I may be so bold as to intervene, movie theater projectors are, in fact, not 2048 Dots Per Inch. The three imaging devices in a DLP Cinema projector are currently 2048 x 1080p resolution. There is a separate imager for red, green and blue channels. I haven't bothered to look this up, but I am pretty certain that most DLP Cinema presentations not in CinemaScope use 1998 x 1080 to maintain the proper aspect ratio. The 2048 max width allows a wider screen when used with the typical anamorphic lens, which stretches the image source laterally with a 1.33:1 ratio. This in combination with the full 2048 imager width provides for an approximately 2.70:1 aspect ratio, for epic stuff like Ben Hur without the need for scaling, which might well be visible and undesirable on a screen the size of those in typical commercial theaters.

The reasoning for this is partially the fact that most movies currently are shot with CinemaScope or equivalent aspect ratios, which are roughly 2.37:1. Movies that are not shot with Scope are shot using Academy Standard, or flat, which is 1.85:1. This is very near the HDTV standard, obviously.

This differs from the chipset that most consumer grade displays use, which is 1920 x 1080p. The sensor in the 5D is 1.78:1 or 16:9, though certainly with further cropping, or even better an anamorphic lens attachment, it would be fine for 2.37:1 stuff.

The Red is a very good camera. My business partner just helped with a movie that was shot on a Red and is now being considered for distribution by Sony Providence.

<div>

Sorry. dpi isn't what I meant. I get in the habit of saying it. I meant 2048 total. Thanks for stepping in. I just did quick web search out of curiosity.
    </div>