Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: On-Line Backup Service

I read that some services accept hard drives that you mail them for the initial data transfer (you get them back). But that was a while ago, not sure if anyone still offers that.
    If you want to combine the best of both worlds, you back up to a NAS and and let the NAS back up to a cloud service.
    Arnt

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    Unlimited backup for $9.95 a month---and cheaper if you buy a year or two in advance.

Bob
    Hi Bob, its morning which means I'm very slow, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

There is one thing I don't understand... how do you get your data to the cloud provider without your line data charges and speed killing you. Do you have an unlimited data contract? For me to upload my local NAS would take about 6 months, I don't want to work out the cost.

Tony
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    Hi Bob, its morning which means I'm very slow, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

There is one thing I don't understand... how do you get your data to the cloud provider without your line data charges and speed killing you. Do you have an unlimited data contract? For me to upload my local NAS would take about 6 months, I don't want to work out the cost.

Tony
    Yes, I'm the same side of the pond as you and it is unworkable! JustCloud offer a service but what I found when I joined up for 250Gb was the original quoted $48.00 all of a sudden went to $79.00, okay went with that, but when I started to upload the max speed hit was 190Mb/s I wanted to upload my initial RAW folder of 58Gb, went to JustCloud and for an additional $14.00 could get a turbo patch! so did that speed improved to about 200Mb/s.

All the time doing this my bandwidth is getting chewed up with Bigpond, searched JustCloud and found that with all their enhancements they advised best bandwidth speed for them was 4 to 8Gb per 24 HOURS, doing the maths I found that at best (8Gb) it would take 7.5 days to upload.

After a bit of a protest they agreed to cancel my subscription, they did offer a 50% discount!, so got the money back but not the $14.00 for turbo, I'll put that down to cost of education :-).

Happy to get out of it as I think it would have been a costly disaster, moving 30 meg RAW files around the internet is time consuming and costly, my solution, just purchased a 4Tb NAS

David

Tony
    Correction that should be 669 Days at 512kbps.... never do maths first thing in the morning.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Tony
    Tony, I use a standard cable based internet service provider and there isn't any limit on data transfers, so no increased charges. As far as speed, the initial upload is painfully slow, but the software runs in the background and still allows me to continue business as usual. Even system shutdowns or other backups don't seem to be a problem---the software just picks up wherever it left off. The only thing I have noticed is that the internet is a little slower but not so slow as to be frustrating ----its about the speed difference as you might see between DSL and Cable.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by djmorgan View Post
    Yes, I'm the same side of the pond as you and it is unworkable! JustCloud offer a service but what I found when I joined up for 250Gb was the original quoted $48.00 all of a sudden went to $79.00, okay went with that, but when I started to upload the max speed hit was 190Mb/s I wanted to upload my initial RAW folder of 58Gb, went to JustCloud and for an additional $14.00 could get a turbo patch! so did that speed improved to about 200Mb/s.

All the time doing this my bandwidth is getting chewed up with Bigpond, searched JustCloud and found that with all their enhancements they advised best bandwidth speed for them was 4 to 8Gb per 24 HOURS, doing the maths I found that at best (8Gb) it would take 7.5 days to upload.

After a bit of a protest they agreed to cancel my subscription, they did offer a 50% discount!, so got the money back but not the $14.00 for turbo, I'll put that down to cost of education :-).

Happy to get out of it as I think it would have been a costly disaster, moving 30 meg RAW files around the internet is time consuming and costly, my solution, just purchased a 4Tb NAS

David
    I stuck with the basic unlimited package of 9.95 per month---no up grades. At the moment I am 37% through my initial upload and I have been at it since Sunday. So I am guessing a full two weeks for the initial upload of almost 400 gig. But what I do remember from my MOZY days is that once the initial upload is complete, the incremental backups are very quick and rarely noticed. Even after a full day of shooting, lets say 1200 21 meg photos will only take a couple of hours to backup if that. And normally this occurs while you are sleeping if you schedule it that way.

With data upload charges and serious impact on bandwidth, I agree with you---this wouldn't be a good solution; but for me, it just seems to work for the moment. Although, I'll give it a month or two before final judgement is made.
    Bob

8gb per 24 hours, so my 1.6 tb of archived files would take 200 days to load to Just Cloud.

Or is my math wrong. I am glad this was brought up. That wouldn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    8gb per 24 hours, so my 1.6 tb of archived files would take 200 days to load to Just Cloud.

Or is my math wrong. I am glad this was brought up. That wouldn't work for me.
    Actually I have been at this since Sunday evening. So with that in mind, I have uploaded 126 gig in 4 days (96 hours), that comes out to about 31 gig per day-- which is far greater than than what others are reading. Based on that, I am guessing it would take about 45 days for 1.5 TB---even still, that would be unworkable for most people with that much dada.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    Actually I have been at this since Sunday evening. So with that in mind, I have uploaded 126 gig in 4 days (96 hours), that comes out to about 31 gig per day-- which is far greater than than what others are reading. Based on that, I am guessing it would take about 45 days for 1.5 TB---even still, that would be unworkable for most people with that much dada.
    It would be unworkable for me. I want an archive more for old files than current. I think the external might be the better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    It would be unworkable for me. I want an archive more for old files than current. I think the external might be the better choice.
    If I were in your shoes, I would agree
    Bob