Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A fool's consideration..

Re: A fool's consideration..

Anyone here use Blackrapid Straps? The biggest load I've put on it is just my 7D with 70-200mm f/4L so it's not even comparable to the weight you guys are talking about, but I'd bet it would support the weight.There's no neck strain what so ever since it goes across the shoulder. Works wonders for me.

Quote Originally Posted by wtlloyd

If you use the neck strap around the camera body, it puts too much strain on the mount...plenty of pics on the web of sheared EF mounts on the lens...one reason why they added more screws to the new extenders.

Thats what I kind of figured. Its idiot proofing. Give them a way to hang the huge lens off there neck that wont break the camera, and maybe they will figure out that a 9 pound wieght shouldn't be around there neck on there own without tearing up their equipment.

Thank you for the well thought out replies guys. I have made my decision, based largely on your thoughts and considerations that didn't even occur to me. Also, realized a huge mistake I had made that day with the bald eagles because of this thread.

[quote=wtlloyd]

I gather you intend to pursue shooting wildlife, and that is the focus of your equipment upgrade?

Well, you are making a classic "upgrade" error. See this related article: [url="http://www.bythom.com/support.htm]www.bythom.com/support.htm[/url] (note: some of the specific products mentioned are out-dated, do your research before buying)

I refer you to that article, as it serves double duty. First - If you want to make stunning wildlife images, get a dedicated lens and don't take half-steps along the way. The already mentioned EF 400 f/5.6 is my recommendation as well. It out performs the 100-400 right where you need it, at 400mm. Yes, it has no IS, but you need to shoot on a tripod for a while if you really want to improve your images. IS on tripod is still helpful, but more for the true super-teles such as the 500, 600 and 800. I've owned the 100-400, shot with it for a number of years, it is excellent for a zoom of it's age. If you want to just walk around, blasting away at subjects - well, that's fun too, sometimes, and you could ignore the rest of my advice and just get one. But you won't get stunning images except by luck.

Which brings me to the second reason for linking the article - you need a serious support system, and that's what I think you should spend a goodly chunk of money on. Probably $500 - $600 on a tripod at minimum if you want carbon fiber. Get a dedicated "gymbal" type ballhead. Or, you could use a quality ballhead and something like a Wimberley Sidekick which would be appropriate to your equipment size and weight. Pick up a lens plate to mount the whole shebang....Throw $40 at a "Better beamer" flash extender.

[/quote]

Wildlife is indeed the reason for the upgrade. I totally see what you mean about the "classic upgrade error". I was looking to completely replace my Tamron.. a lens I'm thrilled with, for something even more versatile.. I never stopped to consider that a high quality prime will almost always have better IQ at it's respective length.. And the second part of your post brings me to my mistake the other day. I DIDN'T EVEN THINK TO BRING MY TRIPOD. Derp!! With the eagles being as far away as they were, even at 300mm, and cropping as much as I did, I was an idiot to shoot handheld. Even if it were on my tripod, Tamron suggests disabling IS, which in my mind means IS should be an after thought in my decision making process for a 400mm+ lens.

As far as the tripod suggestion goes.. I purchased one last November, I believe it to be a good one, but have never mounted a lens with the collar to it.. so I'm not sure exactly how that would work? A lens plate necessary for that kind of a setup?

My tripod:

<span id="btAsinTitle"]Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT Aluminum Tripod with GH-100 Pistol Grip Ball Head

<span>

Quote Originally Posted by thekingb

My 2 cents...if you really love the image stabilization of your Tamron, the 100-400 might disappoint in that department...

I'm keeping it for my walking around. []When I'm in need of more reach, I'll bring out the Prime. Ultimately, I needed to be a little budget consious. I have decided on the 400mm f/5.6.[Y]

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

To me reach wouldn't be the main concern, but the IQ you get would be. Maybe reach is the most important to the OP. The IQ of the 300 F4 with the 1.4 ex is less than the 100-400mm. Of course no IS with the 400 f5.6 or it might be the way to go.

More reach, of course, but IQ needs to still be there. That's why I was only considering an L class lens as a replacement. Otherwise I would have gone with one of those Optika monstrosities. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by TakahiroW4047

<div>

Anyone here useBlackrapid Straps? The biggest load I've put on it is just my 7D with 70-200mm f/4L so it's not even comparable to the weight you guys are talking about, but I'd bet it would support the weight.There's no neck strain what so ever since it goes across the shoulder. Works wonders for me.

<div>
    <div>

I also have a Blackrapid strap. Obviously I have no experience using it with one of the ultra telephotos, but the difference was more than noticeable with my Tamron.

Again, I'm extremely pleased with this site. I've done tons more reading than posting and I'm grateful to you all.

Happy shooting,

-Rocco
    <div></div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>

Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

wtlloyd,

Just looked at the Wimberley Sidekick, promising, but not sure if it will work with the Vanguard GH-100 Pistol Grip Ball Head's quick release system. It's one of those round ones. Guess that's the bad thing about companies moving away from any type of industry standard.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Take a look at NatureScapes.com website store and at ReallyRightStuff.com to get an idea of the ballhead/lens/camera plate relationship and what types of items are out there at various price points.

Close your eyes, take a deep breath and quietly tell yourself that you have been a good person and a good parent and you deserve better. Then open your eyes, go straight to B&amp;H (actually use the links on this site) and order that 500 f/4 IS, or 600 f/4 IS. I guarantee you that after half an hour of using it, you will forget how much you paid for it. Those little 100-400, 300 f/4 IS, 300 f/2.8 IS, 400 f/5.6 are girl lenses....lol lol :

Update: Ended up getting the 400mm f/5.6 and I am IN LOVE with that lens. I

Thanks for the update, Rocco.

Rocco, 400mm 5.6 is a fantastic bird lens, it