Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much do you shoot?

Re: How much do you shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams
    Now that I have wasted all of your time with this I think I will go have another [img]/emoticons/emotion-22.gif[/img], wanna join me?

Bob

Sure, you buying right?

Its an interesting formula, I never really thought about applying something like that to my pictures. With me it either looks good or it doesn't.

I will keep sharp and clear pics regardless of composition (why? I like wasting space on the computer and storage I guess), but they get filed away in case some strange need for them arises later. I am not sure these can be counted as keepers, but I did keep them.

I keep them based on composition and sharpness, and IQ. Subject matters to, a bad picture of big foot is still a good picture. It's all pretty subjective.

Really if you have to debate whether to keep a picture or not, I normally keep it. That one is for me to look at later, not other people. If you have to decide whether it should be kept or not its probably not one you show off.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

Really if you have to debate whether to keep a picture or not, I normally keep it. That one is for me to look at later, not other people. If you have to decide whether it should be kept or not its probably not one you show off.

Rick

Actually, I agree with you, the rest was just for fun----Normally, I'll pick the best of a series and keep that one---wheather it's a "keeper or not" ---Imay go out and shoot 100 or a1000pictures of cranes in flight and still only end up with 1 or2 on my hardrive---doesn't matter how good or bad they are. After all, how many pictures of "cranes in flight" does one person need?

And yes, I'm buying.

Bob
    Bob

Hi Bob,

Interesting concept. I can't say I am conscience of using a point system, but ultimately, we all are using some sort of value system to determine what we keep and discard. But something that I think you may want to consider, I am not sure many people, at least not me, use "weighting" in the way of your formula (0.3 x pts, or 0.2 x pts). While I am sure everyone weights different criteria when making selections, Instead of everything being scored to 100 pts and then weighted, another system would be that different criteria have different total number of points. For example, staying with your threshold of 75 for a "keeper" maybe sharpness is only given 30 points but "capturing a moment" is given 75. So, capturing a moment on its own could result in you "keeping" a photo.

For example:

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/8863.Eagle-216.JPG[/img]

Not a great photo in a lot of respects, but it captures a moment and is the one of the only I have of a mature bald eagle like that...kept it. Point being is that I often keep a photo primarily for one criteria.

Just some thoughts.

Brant

Bob

You should copywrite/patent your method. In CS6 you might see a sorting method just like yours where you just assign different values for diferent variables on the picture then Bridge just sorts them accordingly. Rather than the 5 star method they use now.

It would be cool if one of the programs automaticaly assign a value for sharpnes and other things, to help speed the process up when sorting.