Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1D X images

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    That Chipmunk with an ISO of 25,600 is amazing.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    That Chipmunk with an ISO of 25,600 is amazing.
    +1 .... wow

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    +1 .... wow
    Yes... incredible. Compare to what I'm used to with my 7D*, it's a bit as if I was shooting polaroid

* Which I consider a pretty good camera

Thanks everyone for the feedback and the good laughs! Yes I'm definitely having a blast.

@Jonathan, If I remeber right you had a 1D IV or 1D III when you bought the 500mm II. Now you have the FF 1D X.

Any regrets you didn't go for the 600mm instead?

Very good shots by the way.

Jonathan,

Those shots are stunning! I especially love the color and contrast of the first two.

I'm curious to hear Jonathans answer as well, but I'll chime in for now. With going from the MKIV to the 1DX, all of your lenses will be 30% shorter and it is quite noticable. I used to use the MKIV with 300mm and 1.4X (546mm) for BIF, and the 2X for the reach. Now, I have to use the 300mm and 2X f(600mm) or BIF and then I can't get the far reach that I need with the 1DX, so getting a longer lens, or keeping the MKIV, or other crop camera seems like the main options right now. So, I think I will keep the MKIV for now.

I'll try to go out and post some pics comparing the MKIV to the 1DX. How should I adjust for the focal length differences and framing, or should I just shoot with the same lens, use a zoom or compare with extenders?

Rich

Rich

Here is a thought, a while back John took some shots so I could compare a 7D full size shot to a crop out of a 5D II. He sent it to Daniel and I, Daniel's contention was that the 7D IQ would be better with the 7D than the 5D II crop. It was, but only after PP and then only slightly. I wonder how with the same lens a 1D X cropped picture will hold up with the same lens native shot from a 1D IV.

The other thing is going from FF to crop in most of the length range I am really not limited on focal length because I can always adjust by what lenses I choose. I know that statement might start a debate, but in reality I have enough play in my kit that I can get any focal length or relationship I want, except at the widest or the longest. So really any meaningful comparison of the 1D IV to the 1D X would probably be at the length of the longest lens you have. That is why I think the test above matters; you’re as long as you can reach now how is the best way to deal with it.

One of the reasons I ask Jonathan the question, is the way he uses this lens appears to be very similar to how I use mine. The first 9 months I had the 500mm I used it with a 5D II, as crop factors go I found the 1D IV to be about right with the 500mm now.

Rick
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 08-06-2012 at 05:46 PM.

@Rick, Well, 300mm is my longest lens, so should I take a shot with both bodies at 300mm, or use the 1.4x and 300 on the 1DX (420mm), and just the 300mm on the MKIV (390mm). It depends if you want to check for cropping the FF, or the decreaser in IQ with the extender? Or I can take the shots with and without the extender.
    Last edited by Richard Lane; 08-06-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Rich and Rick -
    My previous wildlife camera was the 1D Mark III, and while it does have the 1.3 crop factor, the quality of pixels is quite a bit lower than the 1DX. So as you suggested, I can happily crop my 1DX images by a factor of 1.3, and they still look better than a non-cropped image from my 1DIII. As a result, I'm getting the best of both worlds --- wider angle photos that I can crop when I need to. I have to say, I really (really) like the light weight of the new 500. It is 1.5 lbs lighter and 2.5 inches shorter than the 600 f/4, which is significant. Handholding is quite important for me and this lens is wonderful for that. The new 1.4 TC works brilliantly, so if I'm going birding I can slap it on and get all the length I want. I suppose there are always times when more focal length would be good, but for me there are more times when the wider angle is nice (shooting bears for example).
    Hope that helps!

Thanks for your fedback Jonathan it definitely helps.