Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much is one photo worth for a news article?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Denise, I haven't had the terms and don't know the situation as you do, but I also think it might be a good thing to show yourself to the business.
    I only know CNN from tv, but a quick look at CNN money makes me believe it's a serious platform for companies and interested people. Not some sort of small regional forum, where I too wouldn't be too happy posting my lifeline plus headshot onto.

As I get the idea that you are invited to a serious platform, I would personally suggest to take the chance and hopefully get something out of it. As for the essay I would think a positive look at your situation would work better than to list all the negatives on being unemployed and having difficulties finding work.

Anyway, I think maybe getting a few hundred bucks for the photo would have been a better choice for you at the moment, but this might just as well turn into something that you will get a lot more out of.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Denise 200 words that might have a positive influence on your employment prospects is a good investment. I agree with Jan's thoughts above. You have excellent communication skills and this could be a very good vehicle to highlight and promote not only yourself but the plight of many middle aged people.
    You have sacrificed a lot to just maintain your home since becoming unemployed and you have worked very hard to find work, genuine effort and endeavor deserves to be recognized and rewarded.
    Hope you go through with this, good luck.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Thank you!

In case anyone is wondering how this all came about, I had emailed the writer about a month ago thank her for this article she did to bring attention to the subject. Also, this is exactly what the set-up would be for the article about me ...

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/news/ec...ess/index.html

Now that you see it in similar print ..still have the same opinion? I thought it was great ...when it was about other people!

I see your point - publicity is a good thing, but 'I have given up' is not a message you want to send to potential employers...especially when it's not true!

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I see your point - publicity is a good thing, but 'I have given up' is not a message you want to send to potential employers...especially when it's not true!
    Oh, most definitely I would not give it that approach! I have more of the approach like, "this is the experience, skills and dedication that employers are missing out on by not hiring me" angle!

Yep, see what you mean, but it would be interesting to know if that gentlemen now is employed and his beaten down job seeker story was just a very clever marketing ploy.
    While you can certainly identify with that blokes feelings, you are a fighter Denise and i agree with John, you haven't given up.
    As far as headshots don't forget your picture at the Kenny Rogers concert....I haven't
    Steve U

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    Yep, see what you mean, but it would be interesting to know if that gentlemen now is employed and his beaten down job seeker story was just a very clever marketing ploy.
    While you can certainly identify with that blokes feelings, you are a fighter Denise and i agree with John, you haven't given up.
    As far as headshots don't forget your picture at the Kenny Rogers concert....I haven't
    Actually, I was thinking maybe this one to show I wasn't always old! Granted it's a scanned photo taken with an old p&s but whatcha think, Steve?

Me by Denise Trocio ( www.dtrociophotography.com), on Flickr

If you keep it straight and positive, you get your name out there and maybe some possibilities come up. Convey that you have not given up and that you still have skills to bring to the table.

If I hire someone, I want to see what they can bring to the table, not the baggage. As long as the story can show you can help a company succeed and not focus on the negative aspects, it could bring you some opportunities. Just have a resume or LinkedIn profile ready so if inquiries come you have something to point to.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricPvpi View Post
    If you keep it straight and positive, you get your name out there and maybe some possibilities come up. Convey that you have not given up and that you still have skills to bring to the table.

If I hire someone, I want to see what they can bring to the table, not the baggage. As long as the story can show you can help a company succeed and not focus on the negative aspects, it could bring you some opportunities. Just have a resume or LinkedIn profile ready so if inquiries come you have something to point to.

Eric
    Thanks, Eric! Yes, on a serious note I am very professional and would most definitely be able to present myself as such! The skills, dedication, loyalty and experience is there along with a very solid work background. I'm just not sure this article would help any locally.

Hubba hubba. This reminds of that one about the two women with equal qualifications apply for the same job. Who gets the job?
    I'll clean it up a bit here. ...
    The cute one of course.
    And that would be you Denise.
    Steve U