Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 400mm f/2.8 L IS USM or 300 f/2.8 L IS USM?

Re: 400mm f/2.8 L IS USM or 300 f/2.8 L IS USM?

Quote Originally Posted by peety3
    Heck, you'd be hard-pressed to get a 100-400 into an NHL event in many cities. I've seen Rebels in our local arena for a minor league hockey game, but I almost had a 1D Mark III and 24-105 taken away at an Alan Jackson concert in the same arena.

I called Mellon Arena about an hour ago regarding the Stanley Cup game tonight and the guy seemedapprehensiveabout giving me the ok for my kitlens. (20D and 18-55). He eventually did give me the thumbs up. On the website the rule states no lens longer than 3 inches. I cant imagine trying to get a 100-400 or any other telephoto lens past the gates.

Any tips on getting through unnoticed?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger

I called Mellon Arena about an hour ago regarding the Stanley Cup game tonight and the guy seemedapprehensiveabout giving me the ok for my kitlens. (20D and 18-55). He eventually did give me the thumbs up. On the website the rule states no lens longer than 3 inches. I cant imagine trying to get a 100-400 or any other telephoto lens past the gates.

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Checking the website: "Mellon Arena&rsquo;s building policy allows only small, personal still
    cameras (preferably disposable) equipped with 3 inch lens or smaller to
    be brought into the Arena. Cameras with detachable lenses or flashes
    are not permitted. Video, audio and professional-grade cameras and
    recording devices are strictly prohibited in the Arena." 20D and kit lens is a gray area, especially when interpreted by Mongo the Security Guard. Your lens is probably shorter than 3 inches, but it's detachable so you may have a problem.

One time, I almost took my 1D3 and the nifty fifty to MSG, and finally decided that wasn't smart. I decided to go enjoy the game, and not bother others around me with the clack of the shutter and a big black object that might be in their view all too often. As much as I don't like it, I do have (at least a little) respect for those who make money on their photography at these events. They've clawed their way into a position to capture perhaps a day rate and/or a per-shot fee, and although your camera might not threaten their work they just don't know. So, if nothing else, enjoy the game, but it might be best to just leave the camera home.

All that said, I had to rewind game 1 or 2 a little bit last weekend, as I'm sure I saw someone in the stands with a super-tele (300 or 400, I was too lazy to count rings and look it up) who was fairly clearly in the crowd. Just because they got in with it doesn't mean you will though.

I'm pretty sure at least one arena allows lenses up to 200mm. I'd love to go there with the 200/2 and have the mrs hide a 1.4x or 2x in her purse.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Have bigger boobs than gear... (sorry, but that seems to work for my wife).

Quote Originally Posted by WAFKT

Have bigger boobs than gear... (sorry, but that seems to work for my wife).

Uh, wait. And she's getting a 400mm f/2.8?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Uh, wait. And she's getting a 400mm f/2.8?

Ha! I see your point... I hope I don't have to but a new pair of those too...

As Roger Cicala of Lens Rentals says on his description of the 800/5.6, "The 800 f5.6 is also the photography equivalent of a D cup: Not a
    necessity, but wherever you go with it, you&rsquo;ll make lots of new friends."
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I'm not sure how much of this I want to tell in public, but I use the term "white lens pass" a lot. For many events, simply having two camera bodies with giant white lenses hanging from you will open a security gate or two. I also find that myhuge collection of old credentialsseems to remove the necessity for more credentials.

If you get arrested you're on your own...

Haha Dallas, Im not too sure how seriously a majorleaguesports staff would take a highschool senior. Regardless of how many white lenses I [wish] I have lol.

That being said, after I obtain a 70-200 f/2.8, I will follow your steps to getting passes that you posted a few posts back. Soccer season for school this year will provide many opportunities and I'm pretty sure I could work something out with the local papereventually.

Until then, I can only go to the games andin envy,stare at those with 400mm lenses and media passes.

Heres a totally unrelated question: Does each major photog at a pro sports game (specifically hockey) have his/her own set of strobes set up? If you look at the ceiling of an arena, there are numerous flashes going off. Just curious. Not meaning to sidetrack the discussion.