Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reality check please

Re: Reality check please

Nice shot! Glad to hear your happy with your purchase...happy shooting! Have to start getting into the whole HDR thing myself...

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor

As promised here is pretty much the first shot to come out of the 10-22mm....
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Way sweet. As a point of personal preference, I would have leaned a bit away from the 'painting' character of the trees, though on second thought, it's kind of cool too, so maybe forget that comment [].

Like I said, way sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin
    As a point of personal preference, I would have leaned a bit away from the 'painting' character of the trees

No "painting" as such on the treesthere mate, just the way it came out with the HDR merging. It wasn't the most exciting photo as there were no nice dramatic clouds across the sky so I tried to make it a bit more interesting by having some of the foreground exposed as well.

I'm really happy with this lens so far. I haven't found the need to even use a circular polariser yet as the saturation of the blues in a flat sky during the day is really good. It's a great addition to my kit and I'd highly recommend it for 1.6x crop sensor users. Now to save for the 70-200 f/2.8 IS...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

No "painting" as such on the treesthere mate, just the way it came out with the HDR merging. It wasn't the most exciting photo as there were no nice dramatic clouds across the sky so I tried to make it a bit more interesting by having some of the foreground exposed as well.

I didn't mean 'painting' as such. I mean, subjectively, the effect that seems to happen when the darker stuff gets pushed into the midtones with HDR software. It's an artistic choice, and I have nothing to compare it to, and even if I did, it's your choice, not mine. I got a similar effect, often, when I used Raw Shooter Essentials to render my raw images that had a lot of dynamic range, and I used the 'fill light' control extensively to bring up the darker content and then used the 'contrast' control to keep it punchy. I wasn't trying to be overly critical. I think it's a great shot regardless.

No offence taken whatsoever Colin, I actually really appreciate the comments[] We all do things differently. What looks great to me may not always be perfect anyway (I'm red/green colourblind so occasionally I miss a thing or two). I'm always happy to recieve a bit of constructive criticism - after all how are we to learn if we aren't aware of the things we could do differently to improve. There's an absolute wealth of experience and knowledge within these forums and it's a great place to learn.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Heya Ben.

The only one of your "possible" lenses I have experience with right now is the 10-22. I JUST got it for a weding on Saturday. This lens is amazing. It just gives you shots you never thought you could get.

If you want to do landscapes, you can't beat it. Talk about an impressive angle of view at 10mm. Also, architectual pictures are great. Definitely let's you get the picture you need.

A few thingsto keep in mind about the 10-22......wide angle lenses aren't just for "getting it all in", they are about the aspect of the picture. Things that are further away REALLY look further away. Angles and lines are dramatic, and can make a great effect. All of these are less dramatic the closer to 22 you get.

Also, you want to get as close as possible with this lens. You really have to be personal, and agressive with this lens. If you aren't close enough you get things you don't want in the picture, and you lose what this lens is made for.

As far as the lens being weather sealed, all of the moving parts are enclosed, but NOT sealed. The lens does move about a CM in and out, but it is always recessed behind the front of the lense, so if you put your filter on the front, it's very well protected. Also, you would want a THIN filter. It's going to cost you a lot for a good filter, but if you use a cheap one, you'll get more vignetting.

So, I don't know what to tell you about the other lenses, but there's some insight on this one. It's a GREAT lens. I'll post some pics if you'd like.

John

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.34/3624750722_5F00_b4cf69915f_5F00_b.jpg[/img]

Here's another shot with the 10-22mm taken over the weekend. I'm loving the contrast of this lens. 40D, 10-22mm @ 10mm, ISO 100, f/9, 1/160sec. Photo is straight out of the camera.

Here's another shot with the 10-22mm taken over the weekend. I'm loving the contrast of this lens. 40D, 10-22mm @ 10mm, ISO 100, f/9, 1/160sec. Photo is straight out of the camera.

You know, I was noticing the other day.....I saw some pictures that were recently hung at work, and they were nature shots, all taken with a wide angle lens. It was obvious because on the left, and right quarters of the picture, everything was skewed, and I'm talking, if the pic is 2 feet wide, it starts showing 6 inches from the middle. Trees were no longer standing straight up and there was an obvious curve to the whole scene. I thought to myself "I could take a better quality shot than this with my 10-22."

The 10-22mm just controls it's distortion SO well. This picture you took would be noticeably curved if they used the same lens.

I'm so happy with that lens!

Here's a picture taken with the 10-22. Unedited jpeg.

Well, I messed that up....I'll try again later.