Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will a filter save your lens?

The filter I have is a Hoya UV, doesn't say much else on the case and I don't know what to look for.

On my trip to Antarctica, being the only person who remembered the HDMI cable I was very popular. When another guy with good equipment saw this type of shot he attempted the same, with his CP filter installed (don't know what make). He end up removing the filter because his shots looked washed out. This is the same problem I was getting with the Hoya UV filter.

These are all taken with the Canon 7D, EF-S 10-22 at 10mm, f8, ISO400

Tony

Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

That second shot is without a polarizing filter? That's an amazing blue sky.

@ChadS. I haven't used any filters for years. Had to check the original RAW file but this is very close to the original, it doesn't look like I did much to it, only sharpened and cropped. The sky (when its clear) is amazing, its so strange, at times it felt like being on another planet.

I think I'm getting the post Antarctic Blues...

Here is another one, Neko Harbour

Last edited by Raid; 02-17-2012 at 11:43 PM.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    The filter I have is a Hoya UV, doesn't say much else on the case and I don't know what to look for.
    Hoya has several lines. The good ones are Super HMC, Pro1, and HT. If there are no other designations other than UV, it's a cheap one, likely uncoated or single coated, and it's no surprise that there was a flare problem.