Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Burning a 24mm hole in my pocket

Re: Burning a 24mm hole in my pocket

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Quote Originally Posted by Trowski
    an 82mm 4 stop ND filter
    What brand and where, if you don't mind my asking?

Hoya 82mm Pro1 Digital ND16 from buyphotogear.com(a small site I found through eBay, limited selection but low prices, and in the USA). Same brand for the Cir-PL and a clear protector.

I've been very happy with these filters. I've found them easy to clean, I like that the filters have a slim frame, and seem to be of the same quality as any B+W filter I've seen.

What brand filter mount and what type and brand of filters do you suggest?

I should have been more specific, I meant for 4x6 mounts and filters.
    - Trowski

EF 24mm f/1.4L USM -For owners of this lens: What is the AF speed and accuracy like for you on this lens?

I don't have the origina 24mm f/1.4 any more, just the Mark II. But as I recall, I was very pleased with the AF speed. Not sure about accuracy.

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="content-type" />

What's your experience with sharpness wide-open?What are your overall opinions of this lens?

Sharpness was great (on a 5D) and my overall opinion was that it was my very favorite lens -- until the Mark II came out. Now the 24mm f/1.4 II is my favorite.

The 24mm f/1.4 gets a bad rap because people compare it to 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm lenses. But you can't really do that -- it's a totally different beast. Sure, it's not as sharp as the 85mm f/1.8, but it's a whole lot sharper than any other Canon lens this wide and fast (well, because there are none).

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    The 24mm f/1.4 gets a bad rap because people compare it to 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm lenses.

Really? In many reviews I found, the 24L II was compared very favorably to the 35mm f/1.4L. The 24L II has the edge in build quality with the weather sealing, but in terms of image quality they seemed very similar. Basically when choosing between the 24L II and 35L, it really just comes down to what focal length you want.

I intend to get the 24L II someday, and actually that day might be very soon. I decided to get the TS-E while the rebate was available. I think I'll buy the 24L II some time early next year.
    - Trowski

Really? In many reviews I found, the 24L II was compared very favorably to the 35mm f/1.4L.

I was referring specifically to the original 24mm f/1.4 L. The Mark II version is definitely a lot closer to the 35mm in sharpness in contrast, but the original 24mm f/1.4 is noticeably softer (though still plenty "good enough" for my purposes).