Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canon 1D Mk III

Re: Canon 1D Mk III

I didn

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass

That would bea stretch, the 5D lasted 3 years. 1 series last about 2 years and XXD 1 year.

So thats a rough idea for you anyway,

John.

John

Maybe we can hope.

The 1Ds Mark IV is overdue from the past release time frames. I just don't see Canon marketing releasing a 5D that would outperform its 1D Mark III. The 5D Mark II is 2 1/2 now? I have been waiting on the mythical 1Ds Mark IV for a year now, unless it is some out of this world price I will have at least 2 used 5D's to sell. If 1D Mark IV is overdue will the 5D Mark III be overdue? Who knows but if I were betting I would take at least another year.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    I didn't think it would be quite that long. I would think a new body whatever type it might be would be out within the year and wouldn't it then drop prices on previous models including used and refurbished? I don't know, since I've only been doing this for a year I'm not up on the past history or track record.

Maybe, but when the 1D Mark IV was released the 1D Mark III didn't drop much of all. Reason is that they priced the new one so much higher. So it really depends on the price structure of the new 5D Mark IlI. They will come down, how much remains to be seen. I have seen the 5D Mark II for $1900 used at the local camera shop.

Hi Denise

Not sure if I mis-communicated somewhere along the line......

With used items for sure we can tell you exactly which unit you are getting - I can even have pictures of it emailed to you.

Refurbs,
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    Helen@adorama.com

Denise,

My understanding is that when a unit goes to Canon for service all know upgrades and issues are also addressed. As far as used, a call to Canon with the serial number should be able to address if it had been updated or not.

Chris

Maybe it would be best to wait for two reasons ...to either go with the new model if price is reasonable and it has appealing features or to then purchase the previous model at a lower price.

That was my thinking as well. But I'm really glad I gave up on waiting and added the 5DII. [] As the saying goes...if you need/want it now, get it now rather than waiting for the next upgrade.

Earlier you had mentioned possibly selling the 17-55mm to help fund the new body - I think that's quite reasonable. Keep in mind that the FF-equivalent for that lens is 27-88mm f/4.5, so when comparing the 17-55mm on a crop body to the 24-105mm used on a FF body, the L lens is wider, longer, and faster (although as an f/4 lens it does not use the high-precision center AF point). Personally, I still have my 17-55mm, but honestly I haven't really used it since getting the 5DII. I plan to keep it for a while longer, since when the warmer weather hits I'll be going out more frequently with my 7D. But if it remains little-used by midsummer, I'll most likely consider selling it to fund something else. The current round of price increases should help a bit, there...

Yes, it would make more sense to own a 5d II with my 7d but the used and refurbished price on one hasn't dropped much from the new price yet.

A refurb is 20% less than new - $2,000 direct from Canon. Do you or a family member have an old PowerShot sitting in a drawer? It might be worth calling theCanon Loyalty Program -(866) 443-8002.Reports vary as to whether or not the 5DII is still offered through the program; if so, some have reported trading in an old Canon point-and-shoot and getting a refurb 5DII in the $1600-1700 range.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    <p sizset="41" sizcache="17"]A refurb is 20% less than new - $2,000 direct from Canon. Do you or a family member have an old PowerShot sitting in a drawer? It might be worth calling theCanon Loyalty Program -(866) 443-8002.Reports vary as to whether or not the 5DII is still offered through the program; if so, some have reported trading in an old Canon point-and-shoot and getting a refurb 5DII in the $1600-1700 range.

REALLY!? I didn't know anything about this program ...thanks for the info! I not only have a P&amp;S but also a 1 yr. old camcorder that I only used a couple times, I wonder if they'd take that!?

I will have to look into this!

Thanks,

Denise

Denise

When you regester your 135mm at canon

I'm swaying more toward one than the other but I haven't completely decided on which to go with yet until I here from Canon regarding my 7d and 135L.

I am more convinced than ever to get a 2nd body though since my boss just asked me for the first time if I would photograph a company event - our Packer/Bear office party on Friday and I had to tell him I don't have a camera! [:'(] [:'(] [:'(] So now I have to use the company's point and shoot! [:'(] [:'(] [:'(] [:'(]

Miserable in Wisconsin

Denise,

If you call Lensrentals.com on the phone you could probably get a rental camera body by this weekend ... they are in Memphis and the times I have used their services they were very quick .

PS I was born in Milwaukee .... Go Packers!!!!