Page 37 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best Macro shots

Re: Post your best Macro shots

Awesome Denise!!!

Especially like the third one.....makes me want to buy a macro lens!

Denise,

Those shots are the "Bees Knees."

They're sharp, with nice color, contrast and bokeh. I don't think you can hope for more. On the first shot, you can actually see the pollen on the bees legs and antennae. I think I like the color rendition of the Canon 100mmL f/2.8 Macro IS better than the Sigma 70mm Macro.

I agree with Joel, the 3rd shot is my favorite! The DOF is exceptional and you really get a sense of the bees macro world that it lives in. It's like a little bee city.

Are you using your macro twin light? How about sharing some tips of your setup? I have the Canon Macro too, but I really haven't shot any Macro with it. This makes me want to go out and shoot macro too.

Nice Work!

Rich

Thanks guys! The 3rd is my favorite also & I really don't know why it turned out so much better than the others but whatever I did ...I like it!

I didn't have the twin lite ...I used to own the ring lite but I sold it. So, I really don't have any special tips to give. These were all hand held and I only used flash (580 II w/ bracket) on the first one I think.

Here's another from yesterday ...

Brilliant Denise. Well done.
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Wow, love all the bees and their metallic looks.

I was fixing up a new hosereel in the back yard this afternoon, this guy didn't like being disturbed and scuttled off behind a fencepost. Once i'd finished fixing the hose up, i sprayed him with the hose to get him to move out into the open. He didn't like it too much.

Took a few shots, 7D + 70-300L and 36mm tube, iso800 and f/9. Popped the onboard flash and he got used to it eventually, managed to get 9 shots relatively still while i turned the focus ring.

First real shot at focus stacking using Hugin, used the raw-converted jpgs. Good thing i didn't use raw-converted tiffs, I got out-of-memory errors with 4GB ram and 500mb swap, so i turned the unused 32gb of my ssd into swap space...

Didn't turn out too good on first go, so second try I masked out all the obviously blurry areas from each shot, took an hour or two, and looks a lot better. Not sure what's going on in the top right, i'll have another crack tomorrow morning...

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/700x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/1780.IMG_5F00_0317r_2D00_26r_5F00_fused2ndcs700x55 0.jpg[/img]

I hate spiders.

(and just for those who are squeamish, here's a 100& crop from the 7th in the stack)

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/700x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/0550.IMG_5F00_0324c700x700.JPG[/img]
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

And this one I like better, even though it's not stacked and the original was a few stops too bright.

Didn't turn out too bad after raw-converting.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/700x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/7318.IMG_5F00_0306rcs700x550.JPG[/img]

I hate spiders.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

wasp gathering at the entrance to their nest. I'm inches away from these guys so I'm nervous. They where moving fast and I could just not gain enough shutter to stop all the movement. f/16 ISO 1600 shutter 1/20, handheld so that I could move fast.

These critters give a nasty sting plus I'm allergic. I don't die if I'm stung it just makes me sick for a couple of hours.

Brought out my 580 flash and flash cord and dropped the f-stop down to f/11

25% percent crop on this one as I don't usually do cropping but it lets you see these guys a little closer. The yellow headed one is the boss or the queen from what I can tell because the others could not leave it alone.

A so called leaf bug from today. f/13 this time with my trusty 5D2 and 100mm IS macro. No sharpening done except my for my in camera setting.

While doing the setup and focusing this little bug had some fun with me. In the middle of shooting this little session I looked up to see it suddenly sprouted its wings and fly right at my face hitting me between my nose and my right eye. Even though this insect is pretty much harmless I let out a big yell as it startled me.

[View:http://community.the-digital-picture...neric/utility/ leaf bug by freelanceshots, on Flickr:550:0]