Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Legal Right to Photograph a Public Event

Re: Legal Right to Photograph a Public Event

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Bob's question ("where is the legal opinion?") is rhetorical. No lawyer is going to offer a legal opinion on a forum. Even if one wanted to, and he/she was willing to take the risk of creating an attorney client relationship (no matter how many disclaimers), I doubt he would even be able to without performing additional research, such as reviewing the signed contract.

As the linked document says, "This guide is not intended to be legal advice nor
    does it create an attorney client relationship. Readers should seek the
    advice of a competent attorney when they need legal advice regarding a
    specific situation."
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I think he got he legal opinion he was looking for from the link, complete with the obligatory legal disclaimer any lawyer would make. That lawyer is, in effect, giving his view of the topic and simply saying "There are always exceptions and don't come crying to me if you get in trouble...".

No lawyer is going to offer an official legal opinion on anything - forum or in person - unless s/he knows all the details of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasphotog

This is funnier than you can imagine. Only this forum will truly appreciate this reply. There was another very serious photographer roaming the sidelines near me with two Nikon D3x bodies. One was sporting a 70-200mm f/2.8 and the other had a 200-400mm f/4.0 on it, but of course, those lenses are black. The picture nazi's never even spoke to him. Apparently, white lens equals professional while black lens makes you an amatuer.

Maybe they just knew all pros shoot Canon...
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Wow! That's over $22k in gear!!!

Yep. That Nikon 200-400mm f/4.0 is more than $6,000 by itself.

If we had been hit by a meteor, the insurance guys wouldn't have believed the claim. I had the EF400mm f/2.8 on the 5D MK II and the EF70-200mm f/2.8 of the 1D MK II, plus the EF24-70 f/2.8 on the old XTi.

..and we were shooting 14-year old soccer players.

...Um, did anybody get any good pictures? []

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lucia

...Um, did anybody get any good pictures? [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

I got some stuff... After you look at the second one, take a few minutes and try to get your foot turned to that angle.

Canon 5D MKII, Canon EF400 f/2.8 L IS USM, f/3.2, ISO-200, 1/2500

After you look at the second one, take a few minutes and try to get your foot turned to that angle.

Ouch! Thats exactly why I prefer to take pictures instead of play!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lucia

...Um, did anybody get any good pictures? [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR:both;"]</div>

I got some stuff... After you look at the second one, take a few minutes and try to get your foot turned to that angle.

Canon 5D MKII, Canon EF400 f/2.8 L IS USM, f/3.2, ISO-200, 1/2500

I could probably get my foot turned to that angle, but I doubt it would ever turn back [+o(]

The soccer association doesn't own my child's likeness or the property upon which sheis competing. Even if the association rents the fields from the city, they allow open access to the event and they allow cameras.

I might be more polite next time, but I'm not puttingaway the camera.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I think it's time for you to be "under contract" to shoot your daughter, and use that contract to get access to shoot at any of her events, including those that are indoors and "private".
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.