Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Starting my own business. Any tips on how to name it?

Re: Starting my own business. Any tips on how to name it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cory

So I should end up with...

Canon 10-22mm 3.5-4.5 IS, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 IS EX Di II, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Canon 24-105mm 4.0 L, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS L, and Canon 100-400 L. I will probably pick up the Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro and eventually the Canon MP-E 65mm x1-5 Macro lens. And THEN I'll consider the 50 and 85mm 1.2 L's...

I really need to do some research and start to do what you're doing.

Yeah, I'm kinda waiting to hear about that new 100-400....see if it comes to fruition or not. If it does, I don't want to have already purchased the older one!

The 10-22mm doesn't have IS though. I'm debating on the macro lens. I want the magnification of the 100....but I want to be able to use the lens for other things due to the nice aperture, and the 60mm is more hand holdable. So, I'm still up in the air about it.

Oh jeez...

I've been kinda mushy headed lately (allergies) and I've lumped "IS" in with it's "EF-S" description in my head. People are going to think I don't know what the heck I'm talking about with that lens. [8-|]

Quote Originally Posted by Cory

Oh jeez...

I've been kinda mushy headed lately (allergies) and I've lumped "IS" in with it's "EF-S" description in my head. People are going to think I don't know what the heck I'm talking about with that lens. [img]/emoticons/emotion-15.gif[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

It doesn't matter. We're all kind of mushy-headed, one way or another.

I wouldn't mind having an EF-S 60mm macro for the benefit of it's compactedness. Very easy to carry around. Having working distance is nice. Little weight and volume is nice too though.

I want a 135mm f/2 more.... 17th street photo coudln't exchange my defective copy, as they were out of it.... Where's B&amp;H!?

B&amp;H is only (so far as I know) in New York. I just mail order from them being on the opposite side of the country (every once in a while I find someone cheaper - well, that I think is legit - but not often enough to bother anymore).

Here's one of the 2.5 second hand held shots I took with the 10-22mm...

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.30.44/10_2D00_22_5F00_2.5.JPG[/img]

I'm impressed you got something we can recognize from that scenario!

You took that hand held for two and a half seconds?? If so, that's honestly ridiculous....were you leaning on something to stabilize yourself?

Yes, I was laying on my back, elbows on the ground.

Here's an interior shot taken in-flight (hard to stay steady) at 1.0 second. You're looking at the top of the ball turret, ammo feeding into it. Not quite sure what the yellow 'tank' is. Possibly either simply for oxygen or maybe oil for the machine guns?

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.30.44/Inside-Ball-Turrent.JPG[/img] just kneeling down tho...

My two cents: don't put your name in the business name. Several reasons: if you want to sell the business, the new owners will HAVE to change the name immediately, losing a lot of clients right away and thereby diminishing the sale price. If the business ends up in legal troubles and gets publicity, you don't want your name in the headlines (at least right away).

Choose a business name that your competition can't use against you as a commonplace phrase in conversation.

Choose a business name that doesn't tie/constrain you to photography. I see this a lot in firefighting: fill-in-the-blank fire department decides they want new t-shirts, and gets "FITB Fire Rescue" printed on them. Then FITB Fire Rescue gets lettered on the side of the trucks, etc. It all happens because someone wants to get recognition for something they do besides their name, so they end up with name (and mission) drift. If you ever decide to do framing and your business name says "Photography", you'll have to rename (messy) or simply not attract as much business because of a too-tight name. (Or if you're real good on the biz side, make multiple companies and play shell games with the books - did I say that?)

Random suggestion: I worked for a guy who did DJ work, theater, all sorts of light/sound/scenery stuff. He dealt with Light and Sound Systems, so he named the company Liss Productions. With a tagline of Light and Sound Systems beneath the company name, there's a visual reinforcement to make the name more memorable. (I happen to pick passwords by a similar scheme, though I toss in numbers in place of numeric-ish words and use the shift key to help randomize things.)
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Yeah, that is something to think about. I doubt my little side photography business would get into any major legal troubles leading to publicity haha, but it's still a thought. Selling in time is something to think of though.

I'm sitting down with someone with a degree in marketing this coming week....I really want to choose something wisely. Thanks for the thoughts.

Anyway, on a side note, I ordered two more lenses today! EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS and the EF-S 60 2.8 macro! Will be here friday!