Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Canon 35mm f/1.4 L - UPDATE: I LOVE THIS LENS!

Re: Canon 35mm f/1.4 L

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

Congrats on your new lens, Keith! Definitely give it more time and don't compare it so much to the 35 L, it has it's own advantages in its own right!

I debated on the 35L, 50L and 85L for the longest time! You really helped with my decision on the getting the 35L and I thank you! I read NUMEROUS reviews and it always was highly regarded plus it kept a few extra $ in my pocket!Now I'm debating whetherwhich filter to get (UV, ND or Pol)ordered tonight...or get a step-up ring. Decisions, decisions!! [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

Denise

Thanks Denise! I'm glad I could help you too.

I'm definitely going to give the 50L some more time. I was being a little critical of it after the technical runs I gave the lens and shame on me, I always preach real world use and characteristics.

I've realized lately that I in fact need the 50mm range and I thought it void my need for my 35 but after doing some street shooting tonight I realize that there is a huge difference in FOV between 35 and 50.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    Well, a month later I finally decided to order the 35mm f/1.4 L and should have it Friday!

Congrats, Denise - enjoy the new lens!

--John

Wow Denise! Great stuff and I hope to see some great shots from that lens! Now I guess it's up to Full Frame to complete? []

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

I'm definitely going to give the 50L some more time. I was being a little critical of it after the technical runs I gave the lens and shame on me, I always preach real world use and characteristics.

I've realized lately that I in fact need the 50mm range and I thought it void my need for my 35 but after doing some street shooting tonight I realize that there is a huge difference in FOV between 35 and 50.

It is really a big difference, I hated 50mm on crop, but I truly love it on full-frame! So you chose the 50mmL, I'm curious whether you'll like it or not after some real shooting. Anyway, also congrats to you and enjoy it!

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky

It is really a big difference, I hated 50mm on crop, but I truly love it on full-frame! So you chose the 50mmL, I'm curious whether you'll like it or not after some real shooting. Anyway, also congrats to you and enjoy it!

Jan

Yea, I've seen some glowing reviews of the 50L lately. So I decided to try it. Some reviewers said they thought some production changes had been made. After just a bit of shooting I'm thinking not. It seems fine but not mind blowing like the 85L. I'm getting about the same hit rate as the 85 which is very good but it isn't that combo of sharpness and softness at once. You can definitely see it is intentionally soft. It looks you shot something with a sharp lens then duplicated the layer in PS blurred it and over laid that at a lesser capacity on the sharp layer. If that makes any sense.

I'd prefer to shoot with the 85L but inside sometimes that lens is too long and the 35 is too short and I start to get exaggerated features. Shooting at 50mm has really made me appreciate the 35mm focal length though. If I could only have one it would definitely be 35 based just on focal length.

If I can shake my L fever I may end up sending this back and trying the Sig. I'm going to give the 50L a chance though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky

Wow Denise! Great stuff and I hope to see some great shots from that lens! Now I guess it's up to Full Frame to complete? [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thanks, Jan but I think the high buck spending stops here for awhile. Just little purchases now like filters, etc. Even the little things can add up quick!

I'm at work now but I just received a text from home that the lens arrived.Cough, cough, sniffle, sniffle ...hmmm, maybe I will have to leave early today! [] Wonder if sick days cover "L" Fever!?

Denise

Shot this yesterday scouting a location. I really, really love this lens.

This shot will have an out of focus bikini clad woman on the left side in a week or so.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_2710sm2.jpg[/img]

I do have one complaint about the lens though; I wasn't able to achieve the amount of flair I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

This shot will have an out of focus bikini clad woman on the left side in a week or so.

[ pic ]

I do have one complaint about the lens though; I wasn't able to achieve the amount of flair I wanted.

That's so unfortunate. I suppose we'll have to make do with that much morevisible detailin the subject. Gosh darnit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

That's so unfortunate. I suppose we'll have to make do with that much morevisible detailin the subject. Gosh darnit.

Well in all honesty I was planning on bracketing the f/stop I'll get a focused one too. Maybe something interesting for my flickr friends. []

I LOVE THIS LENS!! This are my first two shots with it! I got home from work, went straight for the box, put the lens on and outside I ran even though it was about to storm bad! I know these aren't the greatest shots (still need to learn more about using it &amp; it was very dark &amp; gloomy out) but it was just funny how this was waiting for me right outside my door to get photographed! There are never monarchs in my backyard for more than a split second at a time! This baby was waiting for me