Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Canon 60D - Predictions?

Re: Canon 60D - Predictions?

Quote Originally Posted by ShutterbugJohan
    • Real weathersealing (1D-level)

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Why would a prosumer model (i.e. two-digit) have weather sealing that the 5D doesn't have?

I'm renting the 5D this week and next for two jobs. It's not a bad camera, but I quickly realized that my 1D3 is my workhorse, and the 5D became the "extra" camera. Shooting in the rain yesterday? Just another day in the park. There's a long list of reasons that the 1-series is expensive...
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    You guys said you all ditched the 5D II for the D700, does Nikon use only analog ISOs or how's the D700 much better in comparison?

I love my 5DII. It's just that I find it enjoyable to complain [:P]

For some uses (action) the D700 is probably better. I'd rather have the 5DII for macro or astrophotography. If starting from scratch and I had no lenses, I don't know which I would pick. It would be tough.

For what I use my camera for, I believe the 5DmkII is better than the D700. 12MP is still kind of small to cover a magazine spread. I use it a lot for product shots and editorial stuff. I initially went with Canon for ease of use and all these little things are of little concern of mine and I'm sure Nikon has there own issues.

So if you have rooted through my trash actually looking for my Canons in there, sorry I was just kidding.

Ahh, that was my bad... I thought you guys were all moving to Nikon. [*-)]

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

If starting from scratch and I had no lenses, I don't know which I would pick. It would be tough.

Agree, I think I will have a hard time deciding which one to go too if I start again from scartch. Nikon and Canon are good at slightly different things but overall as good as each other.

I feel the old Nikon film manual stuff are nice to play with, but in the modern days I will still use Canon as a system.

What I'd like to see in a 60D is a camera that's better than my 40D in some key ways. The FPS should be better than 6.5. I'd like to see a Live View that is more usable -- the ability to lock into focus fast. A slightly bigger viewfinder. And I'd like to see way less noise across the board while maintaining at 15 MP. These requirements probably entail major improvements in the technology -- but hey, that's why it's a wish list.

Tell me what you guys think of my opinion:

As far as features go, Canon has always been a leader. And as our technological innovations advance more and more, so do our expectations. What I look forward to in the 60D is a camera that will really change the ball game - Reinvent DSLR. I feel it would be really cool to see a camera that is totally new, and brings fresh ideas and features to the market.

What I'm trying to say here is that I need to see plenty of new features in the 60D, along with many improvements to existing features, to be impressed. We saw cool things in the 50D, and it certainly attracted many customers, but I don't really want to see more "small" improvements in the 60D. What I'd like to see is a camera that will change things dramatically.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by alexniedra
    What I'm trying to say here is that I need to see plenty of new features in the 60D, along with many improvements to existing features, to be impressed. We saw cool things in the 50D, and it certainly attracted many customers, but I don't really want to see more "small" improvements in the 60D.

Maybe my expectations weren't high enough, but I'm pretty impressed with what has happened over the last 2-3 years in the DSLR world. (Live view, video, and high iso performance improving faster than I thought). I keep thinking things are going to level off, but so far, they haven't.

Still, as a product line matures, it becomes harder to come up with something really new. If we see something shocking with the 60D, I'd be, well, shocked.

That's very true. The DSLR market has seen some very nice changes over the past couple of years, and it certainly is going to be harder to come up with totally new features. Either way, it wouldbe nice to see some new changes and added features in the 60D.

Who knows what the 60D will be... To upgrade from my 40D, it would be nice to see some meaningful weathersealing, better noise control,more refinedAFand improved dynamic range. What I don't want or need is video capability (almost certain to be included) or more megapixels.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

Quote Originally Posted by ShutterbugJohan
    • Real weathersealing (1D-level)

Why would a prosumer model (i.e. two-digit) have weather sealing that the 5D doesn't have?

The 5D needs weathersealing, too. Canon and Nikon have treated their mid-range D-SLRs very differently: Canon treats them (40D-5D II) like high-end Rebels, and Nikon treats them (D300 &amp; D700) like low-end pro cameras. The Nikon D300 and D700 both are weathersealed and have the pro 51-point AF, but the Canon 40D-5D II cameras have "partial" weathersealing (LOL!) and 9 AF points (+6 assist points on 5D II). I just want Canon to do something similar to what Nikon has done with their mid-range cameras.