Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What body should I choose?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: What body should I choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin

I think P chooses the aperture for you based on the distance between what the autofocus points report, but I'd defer to your manual. I could be confused, and I've never actually used that mode. I usually prefer Av (sometimes with a little exposure compensation)or M.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I think you're talking about A-DEP, automatic depth-of-field. Distance to all focus points is compared, and the camera selects an aperture that will keep all points in focus, then selects a shutter speed to work right.

P is Program. It's a manufacturer-programmed routine of aperture and shutter speed combinations based on the amount of light coming in. I don't see a chart in the 40D manual, but in my 1D Mark III manual (see Bryan's review, below the final text of the review, for a link to the PDF version) on page 189, there's a chart of how it works. Basically, in very low light, it uses the selected ISO and a wide-open aperture. Assuming you have an f/1.4 lens, at 1/50th of a second it becomes a linear progression: it goes faster by 1/3 stop, then shrinks the aperture opening by 1/3 stop, progressively until 1/8000th and f/18, and then proceeds to stop down the lens further if possible. I assume that the program picks up wherever the lens' maximum aperture lands. All in all, it's a reasonable routine for novice users (or users who are novice to a particular camera) that balances reasonable safety (camera shake is "just as likely" as too-thin DoF errors) with ease of operation. It usually allows "Program Override" - spinning the "Main Dial" or "Quick Control Dial" will take control (until the 6-second or 16-second timer expires, can't remember which).

I usually put cameras in P when my girlfriend or others are going to be using them. I just wish ISO Safety Shift was on more cameras and didn't appear to sacrifice so much buffer.

Realize though that P can be "dangerous" with flash, trending towards a "snapshot" or P&amp;S look.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Re: What body should I choose?

dude.. the 40d's an amazing camera. i have a 5DmkII and my 40d still holds a special place in my heart. from everything i've read, the extra resolution gained by the 50d doesn't really gain you a whole lot once you take dynamic range and noise into consideration. the 40d takes great pictures, and has a great framerate. you get decent pictures even at ISO 800, and usable ones at 1600. it's solid, consistent/predictable, and can handle just about any situation you throw at it. you won't be disappointed. it's the best camera around to cut your teeth on, in my opinion.