Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: On-Line Backup Service

You guys are lucky, all of the plans I can find in Aus are both Speed and Data Quota caps. Even the NBN (fibre to the home) is still caped.

I included a link to one of our providers, is this cheap to you guys?

http://www.iinet.net.au/nbn/nbn-plan-residential.html
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    You guys are lucky, all of the plans I can find in Aus are both Speed and Data Quota caps. Even the NBN (fibre to the home) is still caped.

WOW, I didn't realize they charged you like that. Most ISPs here just charge a flat rate depending on the speed you want. For me, I pay $39 for 30 MBPS and there is no limit on data transfers.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post

No not cheap, we have cable where I am at. DSL is much slower. Both do not limit your service and your speed is only limited by the demand put on the lines.
    I have property just 45 miles from the city and if we wanted service there it would either be dial up or satellite. In town there are several providers and they are very competitive, which is good for us.

Those plans look similar to what we might expect to see with wireless services. Although my iPhone I pay $30 a month for unlimited service I have an older plan, it is my understanding the company did away with unlimited service and now charges usage fees on new phones. My brother bought an iPad about 6 months ago, his grandson wanted to see a movie off of iTunes so he rented it. By the time it downloaded and was available his rental time expired, and then he got a $139.00 bill for his usage. He was mad because he didn't even get to watch the movie.

Well, as much as I hate to admit it---my original enthusiasm for "Just Cloud" online back up service has been squashed and so I am now forced to reconsider another service or just do as many of you have and go with an NAS raid setup. Let me tell you why I have changed my mind:

1. My initial back-up (expected to take two weeks) kept stalling at 55%. I tried all of the settings, but no matter what I did--it stalled at 55% and reported that the backup was complete---clearly it was not.

2. I contacted thier support via email; and as promised, they responded within two hours---The first guy seemed to understand the problem and gave me a couple of procedures to go through. at this point I was still ok with the service and the help.

3. Unfortuantely, when I reported that the original fixes didn't work, all three subsequent technicians responded with patronizing suggestions even though those "corrections" were clearly addressed in previous discussions. They were not reading the previous discussions even though they were all on the same ticket.

4. Ultimately, I discovered that I had two files that exceeded thier 5 gig limit on file size. Now, I would think that this would cause an error and that it would tell me of the error. It did not, the software just reported that the backup was "complete". When I reported this, the technician told me they couldn't increase the file size limit and suggested that I use some third party software to split my large files into one gig files.----This wasn't a reasonable option since my two large files were Video projects that I have been working on for a couple of years---as some may know, video projects are very finicky so I wasn't confident they would survive being split into 10 files each. Also, It's just to much work and too much to remember before every backup.

5. So now, I have cancelled the Just Cloud service and will resort to a NAS raid option. I supposed if I really do have a disaster of such proportions that all of my in-house backups are destroyed, then I will have concerns far greater than my file collection---Although I will keep my pics on a portable drive and locked in a fire resistant file safe and hope for the best.
    Bob

I backup to a NAS raid locally but have been looking for offline as well. It has a built-in back offline, but the prices seemed a lot higher than a service that runs from a PC.

PC Magazine has a comparison from March. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2288745,00.asp

SOS Online was their Editor's Choice.

I have not tried or researched prices, but some NAS boxes (I use Synology) allow back up to the amazon cloud. I do hourly backups to the NAS, and then the NAS could do a daily backup to the cloud.
    Arnt

I have two home NAS units a QNAP TS-409/4TB (now obsolete) and a QNAP TS-410/5.5TB. The TS-410 is my main home NAS for streaming/storing data, I have everything stored on it (Music, Podcasts, Photos, PC & Laptop Backups, Video Surveillance & Videos).

I have one NAS stored in the house and the other in the garage (separate building). The QNAP NAS has a backup/synchronization application that lets me backup selected directories/files on the main NAS to the backup.

I had intended taking the backup NAS to (TS-409) to my girlfriends place, which is not far away. This way I could schedule a re-sync to the backup as required over Internet. Unfortunately my now ex girlfriend doesn't like that idea any more.... there must be a better way.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss