Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: EOS 5D Mark III vs. EOS 1D X - Differences?

Quote Originally Posted by w349 View Post
    I fully expect the 5D III to work equally as well as the 1D X in One Shot mode, but would expect the additional colour information and face recognition to provide better servo tracking in the 1D X. Just speculation.
    The 5D III AF adjustments have there own control panel now, they are not under the C Fn: tabs any more. I found quit a bit of information on the 5D III but couldn't find as much on the 1D X. No doubt the info is out there somewhere and I am going to keep looking.

I think your speculation is probably going to be correct. The 5D III will be excellent at one shot mode, and very good in AI. But the 1D X will be the star overall and will handle both one shot and AI mode the best.

With the price increase of the 5D III it may be Canon's idea that the 5D III is moving up to take the spot that a 1Ds used to occupy, as the best high resolution camera, and the 1D X replaces the 1D IV and is expanded to handle the high resolution work well. The question for me is going to be how well does the 1D X perform vs the 5D III when doing landscape, portrait and macro. Will the 5D III perform slightly better in those areas and fill a niche that the 1D X with its lower pixel count ( which we questioned early on).
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 03-03-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    The question for me is going to be how well does the 1D X perform vs the 5D III when doing landscape, portrait and macro. Will the 5D III perform slightly better in those areas and fill a niche that the 1D X with its lower pixel count ( which we questioned early on).
    Another question will be whether 1 extra megapixel will outperform the 5DII. Probably not. Not for landscape, portrait or macro. Most landscape shots will be with low ISO. Portraiture, same deal. No need for a 12 frame/sec 1D X in a studio, or even outside portraiture. Thus, the higher pixel count of the 5DII will still be preferred over the 1D X and even the 5DIII (considering cost differential). The 1D X is the same cost as the older 1DsII, which took stunning images.

The 5DIII is $1000 more, and has a few other features that won't necessarily translate into higher IQ.

The HDR feature...oh, boy. Anyone who does HDR will likely shoot more than 3 shots anyway, and will post process them, to get the most out of the HDR.

Video? Whoop-de-do. It's in the 5DII, so we already have that.

6 fps? Hot diggity. So does the 40D.

A lot of extra money for a few extra features that will be used infrequently. It's similar to spending money on a "new" car, and finding out that all you're getting is the same power plant, but now it's got a built-in GPS, a DVD player for the back seats, Sirius radio. The previous year's model cost $24,000. The new one, $35,000. No better performance from the engine, but the gadgets are nifty and cool.

A FF camera (1D X) with 3 Mp less than the previous model, and we're all a twitter.

At least when the 5DII came out, there was a substantial increase in its performance, and they dropped the price from the previous model, to boot. But, now, we get version III, with built-in HDR, etc., and we're all lined up to spend an extra grand on it.

We've talked about how Canon leads us around by their marketing. Looks like it's working fairly well.

@Alan; we tend to look at the specs and they look similar and we assume they should be the same. But they will not be, and the reason is that our camera's are as much computing devices as they are cameras. I believe the 5D III with its 22 mp will produce better pictures than the 5D II with 21mp. I also believe the 1D X will as well. The reason I believe this is because of the faster processors that the 1D X and 5D III will have. The software inside the new bodies will probably be a larger leap ahead than any of the hardware improvement's they made.

We have a brand new sensor in the 5D3 plus 1 more MP, better ISO performance with pros that have had in it in their hands for over a month saying it is usable to 3200 or even 6400 ISO and looking at the images they are posting everyone can see that. And the biggest improvement is in the AF which everyone demanded, what's not to like?
    I think this camera has enough in it to make me consider upgrading.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Alan
    [QUOTE=HDNitehawk;65737 I believe the 5D III with its 22 mp will produce better pictures than the 5D II with 21mp. [/QUOTE]

I'm sure it will be better. But "better" is a very relative term. In print? Web? Not enough to make me switch. Not for a $1000.

I'm with Daniel B on this one: give me more resolution. I might not need what he wants (200 Mp), but I'll surely take much more than a measly 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'm with Daniel B on this one: give me more resolution. I might not need what he wants (200 Mp), but I'll surely take much more than a measly 1.
    Daniel's other peeve was that while they were now saving 14 bits of information, the last few bits were garbage. Going to 14 bit was marketing, not engineering. Apparently they weren't really fully using the 12 bit they previously had. The new more sensitive sensor will perhaps add detail into the bits that were previously just noise. It *should*, but we don't know yet.

I think there are more people who would welcome reduced noise and improved AF over more megapixels. I think Canon did good on this one.

I'm sure it will be better. But "better" is a very relative term. In print? Web? Not enough to make me switch. Not for a $1000.

There were several of us looking for a higher resolution camera, we didn't get it. To bad for us as we have to deal with what was offered. More resolution and pixels would be good, if we assume that the present firmware is using the data from the sensors to it's fullest potential. I doubt that is the case. But really "better" in print or on the web? Isn't that the idea since those are the two major ways people display their images?

After I bought my 1D IV, gradually I started using my 5D II less and less. The 1D IV AF is so much more accurate I find choosing it because I would rather have a picture in focus that may have slightly less resolution than a picture out of focus with more resolution. The AF update will be huge for the 5D II if it as promised. ISO performance is looking promising. Everything else is gravy.

Alan
    After I bought my 1D IV, gradually I started using my 5D II less and less. The 1D IV AF is so much more accurate I find choosing it because I would rather have a picture in focus that may have slightly less resolution than a picture out of focus with more resolution. The AF update will be huge for the 5D II if it as promised. ISO performance is looking promising. Everything else is gravy.
    Two different cameras. Not a fair comparison. The ID IV also costs a ton more, and it better far perform better with AF. I don't recall seeing anyone in a pro-sports stadium using the 1DsIII. They used the 1DIII or IV, and for good reason.

I also use my 7D more often than my 5DII, because it's a better camera to track AF. Good for action shots, sports, BIF, etc. The 5D isn't, so it gets relegated to static work (portraiture, landscapes).

Even with the improvement in the AF on the 5DIII, my guess is that you won't be using it more than your 1D IV, simply for reason it has the AF tracking and fps advantage.

As for the resolution, we didn't get it.

I hope when the 5DIV comes out, with 18 Mp sensor and a $4000 price tag, we all have a glowing view of it, gravy and all.

Two different cameras. Not a fair comparison. The ID IV also costs a ton more, and it better far perform better with AF. I don't recall seeing anyone in a pro-sports stadium using the 1DsIII. They used the 1DIII or IV, and for good reason.

I hope when the 5DIV comes out, with 18 Mp sensor and a $4000 price tag, we all have a glowing view of it, gravy and all.
    Sure it is a fair comparison, if were talking about the 5D III. Canon says it is getting a 1D X AF system.

As for 18mp we will have to wait and see how the 1D X 18mp fairs. Who knows, maybe Canon does know what they are doing.

Alan
    Sure it is a fair comparison, if were talking about the 5D III. Canon says it is getting a 1D X AF system.

As for 18mp we will have to wait and see how the 1D X 18mp fairs. Who knows, maybe Canon does know what they are doing.
    Yeah, if we were talking about the 5DIII, but you compared the 1D IV to the 5DII. So, it's not a fair comparison.

So, Rick, you gonna throw your 1D IV over for the 5DIII? It may have the AF, but 6 fps? Come on, Rick, you know the 1D IV will beat that, hands down.

Just admit it.....you want the 5DIII just because...Because you're a gear head just like neuroanatomist!