Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Galapagos Islands report

Re: Galapagos Islands report

Wow Jon..

Just looked at each of your pictures on your picasa site. Question: did you ever get the pic of the bird on your lens? That
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Jon,

This may sound like a really dumb question, keep in mind though my previous camera was a disposable. Ha! You said you " were glad to have the big aperture when we were in the jungle, where the available light is much lower." If you only had an F/4 or F4-5.6 would it have made you miss out on the shot all together?

I am just starting out and shopping for a longer reach than my 24-105 and your statement has me wondering if I should wait a bit longer and put some more $ together for a 2.8 instead of a F/4 with reach.

naturac

Rocco, thanks very much. I

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer
    Andy that's awesome... great decision! I think that June is going to be a great month in the Galapagos. You'll get to see the waved albatross, which are only now starting to arrive for nesting season. Can't wait to see your photos.
    I know it's been a long wait, but I'm back from the Galapagos islands. It's a truly amazing place with some unique wildlife that shows no fear of humans, like this Galapagos Sea Lion on Espanola island.

1D Mark IV, EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM @ 24mm, f/8, 1/320s, ISO 100

The blue-footed boobies were dancing to attract mates, and a waved albatross was nesting nearby:

1D Mark IV, EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM @ 100mm, f/11, 1/160s, ISO 100

I think they make a lovely couple:

1D Mark IV, EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM @ 220mm, f/9, 1/250s, ISO 100

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 11-12-2011 at 10:54 PM.

That's fantastic Andy --- thanks for posting! Española Island is easily one of the most amazing places on Earth. I hope the rest of your trip was equally rewarding. Please post a link if you have more pictures elsewhere.

By the way here is that photo I got from someone else on our trip, of the Galapagos Flycatcher coming up to inspect my lens:

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/700x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/5148.Ecuador-159.jpg[/img]

Update: I just found the rest of your shots on your Flickr page ---- terrific! Thanks again.

Great pics Andy...[Y]

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer
    Please post a link if you have more pictures elsewhere
    I know you've found it, Jonathan, but for anyone else who wants to see more, my Galapagos gallery is here. I'm adding more as I get time, including some underwater shots taken with the G12.

By the way, it looks like that flycatcher wants to use your lens hood as a nest box.
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 11-12-2011 at 10:45 PM.