Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Monitors and "Ultra" 4k TVs - two many circles in my head

Have been able to spend a couple of days w/ the new TV/Monitor. Still dialing in the color balance etc. But I did notice an interesting change in the appearance when I switched from sRGB to Adobe RGB or "up"

The image gained contrast and color saturation.

Have no idea the real mechanics behind it, but the wider color gamut was clearly more pleasing to my eyeballs.

As I mentioned earlier (and shared a beer w/ Sean) the bigger real estate makes many photos that I passed over as "too busy" suddenly seem more interesting and many of them (Utah and AZ landscapes) have a depth that wasn't there before.

Happy clicks

Mike

Mike
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Oh boy, you don't want to know this update.

As mentioned I bought a Samsung JS8500 55" and use it basically as my giant work and photo editing monitor. It can display 10bits vs 8 bits so that means I can move from sRGB to almost full Adobe RGB 16.7 vs. 1.07 billion colors.

Well.... we were planning to remodel the living room kitchen and part of that was a new big screen in the living room.
    Well.... Since B&H had a great deal on the OLED from LG.....

Well.... Anyone interested in a 9 month old Samsung?

The samsung does great things, OLED is really a step up, the blacks are intrinsically better, shading .vs just not turned on, etc.

I would suggest that the OLED is step smaller is a better result than a IPS a step larger. The off axis viewing is a huge winner w/ OLED and the truer contrast seems just a step up.

You might as well try the full set of TV technologies... go check out a Quantum Dot display, and let us all know how it compares to the OLED?
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

The Samsung has quantum dot. On Axis, really good. OLED is better. Off axis QD gets washed out OLED doesnt.

Thanks Mike.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L