Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 5D Mark III available for preorder in Australia !!!!!

There was this much hype with the 1D IV announcement.

Wait....there wasn't a 1D IV announcement, remember everyone saw the 1D X coming. Not.....

Should I wait up tonight to see if canon comes through?

I'm still waiting for the official announcement, and clarity on some on my assumptions above (flash sync, AF point-linked spot metering, customization). The other question is low-light AF sensitivity - all the non 1-series bodies are -0.5 EV, and the 1D X is -2 EV, so where does the 5DIII sit? I was shooting in an aquarium last weekend, and the 5DII AF was really struggling with the light level (center point, which is the best one, and 35mm f/1.4L so the lens wasn't limiting).

Right now, I'm leaning toward the 1D X. 2x the frame rate and 1 stop more ISO are part of it, but the main thing is the build quality. It's great that the 5DIII battery grip will (apparently) have the 2nd joystick for ergonomics similar to the 1D X. But, I've never been thrilled with the flex between body and grip - the benefits of the grip do outweigh the annoyance, but I'd prefer it integrated. More important is the weather sealing. Earlier this evening, my daughters were out playing in the yard in what's most likely the last snow we'll see in New England this year. They were having a blast, but I have a strong feeling that it would require 1-series sealing to withstand the below-freezing temps with freezing rain/snow mix that was coming down, -2 EV sensitivity for the AF to have a chance well past sundown under overcast, and the best ISO performance possible - which adds up to the 1D X.

I am not planning on it....at this point I expect the announcement to be pretty anti-climatic (internet ruins so much fun).....it would only get exciting:
    1. If the specs are very different that what has been posted.
    2. If there is a detail of the camera that you are very interested to learn about.
    3. If they announce new lenses to go with the 5D3
    4. If they announce other bodies (5DX, 7DII, et) tonight/tomorrow as well.

I plan to wake up tomorrow and look forward to see what Canon has given us for the 25th anniversary of EOS..........

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Should I wait up tonight to see if canon comes through?
    That depends. If they announce tonight, it'll probably be a few hours before they get around to putting sample pics up. So, you'll just get official confirmation, and official specs.

Will you sleep better knowing there really is a new body, or can you find out in the morning. Will the "Is it really coming?" question keep you up all night if you do go to bed?

It's not like you can do anything with the information for months. I know I'll wait and find out tomorrow.

It might just be amusing if Canon Rumor's leaked specs are way off. Or if it is a different camera all together. I imagine I will look on line to see what happens, after all it is supposed to take place right after the last episode of Family Guy tonight.

Finally, a good reason for being in Australia's timezone. There's so many good deal I miss out on ebay because of last minute-snipers at 3am when i'm sleeping. But this announcement is timed perfectly in the middle of my lunch-break so I can get all the info straight away (and do nothing with it, seeing as i'm not buying one). But it's still nice to be able to see stuff live for once...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    The other question is low-light AF sensitivity - all the non 1-series bodies are -0.5 EV, and the 1D X is -2 EV, so where does the 5DIII sit? I was shooting in an aquarium last weekend, and the 5DII AF was really struggling with the light level (center point, which is the best one, and 35mm f/1.4L so the lens wasn't limiting).
    Just about the only reason I use ST-E2 anymore.

Max sync speed remains at 1/200sec. hmmm
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Here are some sample images. Image 3 will be interesting to view when it is up, they are using the 50/1.2 as a landscape lens.
    http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/eosd/5dmk3/samples/
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur