Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I finally did it!

Photo tips episode 89 on multi-tiered pricing is worth a look on YouTube. You'll find a badly recorded show with lots of great content for what you're looking for. I'd watch all 14 minutes of it and see what you think.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    These are all fantastic ideas! There are so many ways of doing this, more than I realized I guess! I think the best thing for me to do is to take the ad down temporarily until I have a better idea of how I want to offer this!

I picked up my 8x10 posters that I had done at Walmart and they are nothing like how they look on screen!! They are very dark, cropping was not how I viewed it on their site, it is chopped off too short at the bottom and the colors are all wrong! Sure glad it wasn't a clients photos!
    Hope you did not pay for them. I think walgreens is better
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Don't take you're ad down, all those ideas can be adjusted and implemented later as you go IMO.
    I agree, you should keep your ad up to create some interest, and gain some feedback on what your potential clients are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Don't take you're ad down, all those ideas can be adjusted and implemented later as you go IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane View Post
    I agree, you should keep your ad up to create some interest, and gain some feedback on what your potential clients are looking for.
    X3
    If your like me your trying to set things up 100% and perfect from the start.. downfall of this is you may never be 100% happy with what you've done and never start.

Jump in get your feet wet and work out the details while people are still looking at your poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane View Post
    So, go with what you like and don't limit your options, and try to get at least $100 for the job.

It's all marketing!

Rich
    I totally agree. Denise, you are very talented. Don't sell yourself short (literally and figuratively), and approach this new endeavor with confidence.

I'm not a big fan of setting your fee too low. People believe on some level that they get what they pay for, and you want to be careful about devaluing your product by charging too little. One idea to get your name out there without devaluing your product is to volunteer to photograph something for a nonprofit as charity work. That could get you some exposure and help you make connections. For example, I once did a shoot for an after school anti diabetes program funded by a foundation and run by Marquette and the Medical College of Wisconsin. It was fun. They liked the pictures. And if I were trying to do this professionally, you can bet that I could have worked connections and tried to leverage the volunteer work.

Exposure is key (no pun intended!). For example, the digital media guy at my school (new this year) ended up landing a number of side jobs because parents at my school were impressed with his work. It's not a perfectly analogous situation, but you get the idea.

Private schools often need high quality photos, and many have very limited budgets to pay for them. There are also many nonprofits and civic organizations.

You have a real opportunity to make turn your talent into a career. Seize it.

Re: Poster printing

Before picking up large printer I used to use a local print shop for prints larger than my 13" printer could handle. The best decision I made came as a result of sending them off the test pattern for use with my printer profiling tool. After I had the ICC profile available at home for soft-proofing what I sent them there were no more surprises. A bonus to me was that after they realized they could now direct print without reviewing/adjusting the files I started to get a discounted price.

Hope this helps.