Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Next Generation of FF Bodies

Beatiful, but my next "goal" is the 7d Mark II :3
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

I had read a review today saying that the 1Dx II's touch screen only works in video mode....what is up with that?
    ---
    Way too much gear and even more lighting equipment.

I haven't seen a demo yet showing it work In anything but video / live view.
    However in live view and video are the only modes I really care about it working.
    It really needs a tilt screen to take full advantage without having to contort your body

In one of the demo videos the do a 16fps sequence as part of the video. It is a moving motorcycle they are tracking.
    I am real curios how fast and accurate it will be in live view, if it's accurate and fast it can change how many people shoot.

HD, they mention it working with some Canon smartphone app (not sure if you need the Wireless adapter for that to work... likely). If the Liveview feed works on that, the perhaps your phone can be your tiltscreen (and shutter release) while maintaining the ruggedness of the 1D series.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I saw where they attached a small monitor to one of the ports. The question to answer is can it function as a touch screen.
    And how about remotely with wifi?

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I saw where they attached a small monitor to one of the ports. The question to answer is can it function as a touch screen.
    And how about remotely with wifi?
    Canon is saying with the wifi device, you can have remote control and a range "up to" 492 ft, which is oddly specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Canon is saying with the wifi device, you can have remote control and a range "up to" 492 ft, which is oddly specific.
    It isn't really if you convert it back to meters But I agree that 490 or 500 would have looked less specific.

I finally had a chance to watch some of the videos. Count me very impressed (assuming independent tests confirm). One of those situations where each improvement is incremental (some a bit more), but when you add them all up, I think this is an impressive release. Basically the issues I've heard people mention have been addressed.

That said, the other aspect that I've taken notice of is the price. $5,999. As I recall, the 1Dx was released at $6,799. So an $800 drop in initial release price. Wait a year, and maybe it'll be $5,000-$5,500?

Two things:

1. That points some downward price pressure on the rest of the lineup. I've been expecting the 5DIV to be $3,500-$3,800 upon release. Now maybe $2,999? $3,299?
    2. If there is only a ~$1,500-$2,000 price differential when I am ready to upgrade, this would get some consideration. I could actually be looking at the 1Dx II in a couple of years. I am not sure I want a body that large, but I am sure I could get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky View Post
    It isn't really if you convert it back to meters But I agree that 490 or 500 would have looked less specific.
    As someone that has to bounce between English and metric all the time, that is funny and exactly it...150 m is 492.126 ft.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 02-03-2016 at 01:17 PM.

As a non-video user of cameras I do find the improvements to be nowhere near enough to entice me to upgrade.
    The biggest upgrade I am seeing is in the price point. Here the 1Dx is selling for just over $5k while the mark II is listed at $8k. Is it just me or is that a rather steep increase for what amounts to small increments of improvement for use as a still camera?
    Are the video improvements enough to justify the increase for those applications? Are the video specs that much better than what Sony and Black Magic offer, amongst others, to more than double the price tag?

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    As a non-video user of cameras I do find the improvements to be nowhere near enough to entice me to upgrade.
    The biggest upgrade I am seeing is in the price point. Here the 1Dx is selling for just over $5k while the mark II is listed at $8k. Is it just me or is that a rather steep increase for what amounts to small increments of improvement for use as a still camera?
    Are the video improvements enough to justify the increase for those applications? Are the video specs that much better than what Sony and Black Magic offer, amongst others, to more than double the price tag?
    It really depends on what you are upgrading from. 1Dx to 1DxII for stills? Pretty similar and, honestly, for people ready to upgrade right now, the 1Dx at its current price point should be tempting. But there are some very nice features that may make it worth it depending upon what you shoot. As I said above, several minor things when added together can become major. Two more MP, 2 more fps, EV = -3, f/8 at all points, I am curious if the new battery also drives faster AF (not just fps), also an improvement to Al servo AF.

But, then there is IQ. The disclaimer, I am not one of those people that expects to pull a shot taken with a lens cap on and have it look like the daylight, but there have been times with my 5DIII where I properly expose on something like a waterfall and find color noise and even banding in the shadows. Very small percentage of shots.

So, I just saw reference to the first push/pull torture test (5 stops) with the 1DxII comparing it to the 1Dx. These are jpegs a beta model, but it does show a noticeable improvement over the already very good 1Dx.

Personally, I'll be more interested in higher ISO comparisons (this was ISO 100), but at least it is an indication of sensor improvements as well.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 02-03-2016 at 08:26 PM.