Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallet full of $100 bills

Re: Wallet full of $100 bills

DO NOT show me those pictures...I'm jealous [:P][]

No, I'll never have as much gear asVincent Laforet, nor be as good a photographer. While I agree that it'spossibleto take great and inspiring pictures with a beat up old Minolta and some Velvia film, it's not likely to be possiblefor me - and I'm not going to make a life out of photography, nor a living from it. But I enjoy it as a hobby, and having good gear helps me get the most, and the most enjoyment, out of my hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223
    One of the things more gear does is ensure you'll never figure out how to take a good picture, just how to get gear to do it for you.

Wait, Brendan, wait...I thought you said gear alone couldn't take a good picture, right? Which is it?? [:P]

Quote Originally Posted by barba
    An alternate take: I would spend the money going somewhere great to take pictures.

Great idea! Jon has a valid point, though - my wife and I used to travel a lot (Central America, Africa, etc.), but having a baby curtailed that sort of thing for a while. But, our 'baby' is two now, and after a test run a couple of months ago (cross-country flight for a week in San Francisco), we're ready to start traveling again. In fact, the next trip is already planned, and the funds are all set aside and earning a bit of interest for now - we're going to China early next year.

[]

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

No, I'll never have as much gear asVincent Laforet, nor be as good a photographer. While I agree that it'spossibleto take great and inspiring pictures with a beat up old Minolta and some Velvia film, it's not likely to be possiblefor me - and I'm not going to make a life out of photography, nor a living from it. But I enjoy it as a hobby, and having good gear helps me get the most, and the most enjoyment, out of my hobby.

DITTO! Since almost the same line

One of the things more gear does is ensure you'll never figure out how to take a good picture, just how to get gear to do it for you.
    was used on me not too long ago, I could not have responded any better!

I can't help but shake my head and chuckle when I read stuff like this! On a forum such as this one, why the heck wouldanyone even need to justifytheir desire, ability to financially afford, or level to deserve various gear is BEYOND ME!

For some, one camera and one or two lenses is fine but for me, if I only wanted and enjoyed having one lens, I probably would have stayed with my point and shoot. The enjoyment that can be attained from having a variety of lenses and other various gear is what makes this hobby so interesting and enjoyable for me, skill or no skill.

I know nothing about golf but I do know Tiger Woods doesn't play golf with oneclub and one ball and neither do theengineers I work with ...they are a far cry from being professional golfersbut they still go out to the golf course with their bag of clubs (and continue to buy more) and have a grand ol' time!

Just my 2 cents! [:P]

Denise

Oops...I forgot to mention that I plan on getting the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS and Tokina 12-24mm and maybe the Canon 135mm as soon as possible just for the fun of it!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

I think many of us will agree that Vincent Laforet is a pretty good photographer and he's an admitted "gear head". Check out some pictures of the various lenses he uses here.

DO NOT show me those pictures...I'm jealous

<div>In that case, Brendan, you'd better not look at Bryan's gear listposted in the Reviews section. As you may know from his bio, photography is not his day job, but that's quite a collection of gear... Of course, without access to all that gear, he couldn't write the excellent reviews which we've all come to depend on!</div>

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    I know nothing about golf but I do know Tiger Woods doesn't play golf with oneclub and one ball and neither do theengineers I work with ...they are a far cry from being professional golfersbut they still go out to the golf course with their bag of clubs (and continue to buy more) and have a grand ol' time!

I'm not a golfer, but when I lived in San Diego (the county with the highest number of golf courses per capita), I worked right across the street from the Torrey Pines golf course in La Jolla, where the Buick Invitational is played every year. I can't count the number of foursomes of middle-aged, out-of-shape men whacking away at golf balls and slicing them into the rough or right off the cliffs into the Pacific Ocean, having a grand time doing so, and doing it using bags full of top-of-the-line custom-fitted Calloway or other high-end clubs.

But enough of the off topic stuff. []

Denise, enjoy your upcoming lenses!!

Denise

I started out with a Canon 20D 6 years ago. I had the 17-85 mm as my main lens, and went without a kit lens. I thought it was a perfect match. I was a beginner/newbie. I could not get ANY decent indoor low light shots, so I bought the 50mm f1.4 based on Bryan's recommendations here, and I was stunned at the difference. I also bought the (then) new 580 EX flash. And it opened up a whole new arena.

18 months ago I took a trip to europe for 3 weeks, and based on Bryan's recommendation, I bought the Canon EFS 10-22, as I knew I would need something to capture the "Vista's" as close as my eyes were seeing. It was a very good call, and some of my best shots ever are with this lens, even today. The 10-22 is ROCK solid. I cannot imagine not having this lens. It is that good on a 1.6 crop Canon body. I cannot speak to the tokina iteration, but I here some negatives everywhere I ask, or read about. Bryan included.

In October 2009 i saw the 7D announcement, and I took the plunge, as I had a lot of Amex membership miles, and I used them for the 7D and the EFS 17-55 f2.8, and my jaw dropped to the floor with this combination. I don't do a lot of pixel peeping, i just take shots, and the combo offered more than i asked for.

I then started doing a lot of event situations, and needed more reach in the low light arena, so i bought the EF 85mm f1.8, and am amazed with this lens, and use it more than any other right now. It is that good, and it is cheap. I started to get the lens GAS ( gear aquisition syndrome ), and then ordered the the EF 135mm f2, as I wanted more reach, and low light abilities. THIS IS THE BEST LENS I HAVE. It is amazing. Even on my 7D.

In early January, I bought the esteemed 70-200 f4 IS, and am thrilled with it's weight and IQ when light is available, I thought about the f2.8 iteration, but due to weight and price, relented to the f4 iteration. I am glad I did. I have primes that cover what I need in low light, and the f2.8 iteration I rented for a week was a bear too manage weight wise. I am not a fan of nose heavy.

I recently added the 200mm f2.8 prime, and am amazed at the IQ/ per buck ratio. No IS, but with a good mono, or tripod, and outstanding lens.

I have some to realize that glass is everything. I am still using my 20 D with the glass, and I get more out of that combo than most folks will ever believe. Don't get me started on what the 7D brings to bear. It is the best bang for the buck SLR ever invented. And the video is to die for.

You are making great headway in the DP environment, and your pictures bear that out.

Invest in glass, and you will always be happy

Quote Originally Posted by MacManUS

You are making great headway in the DP environment, and your pictures bear that out.

Invest in glass, and you will always be happy

Thanks, MacManUS(?)! Iam a firm believer that better glass can never hurt ...well, maybe unless it is as heavy as the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS! [:P] I debate back and forth over that one! Such an absolutelybeautiful lens but I am a pretty small gal ...maybe you helped move the 135mm f/2 ahead of that one!

I took a peek at your bio and saw the photo of your little cutie ...may I ask which lens you used to take that photo? You captured those big brown eyes beautifully and I love the blurred background..an overall wonderful photo! Hmmm, John, maybe we have another lens to add to our list!

I think John is doing a wonderful job at trying to round out his lens collection to capture as many memories as he can of his little girl and vacations him and his wife share together!

Denise

Personally I think you have too many lenses. On an APS-C my choice is n. 3) but to keep the 17-55, I think you seldom use the 10-22, so you can decide to keep it or sell it, to sell the 200 f2.8, you will never use it after purchasing the zoom, not to buy the 50 mm f1.4, you already have the 85 f1.8, that is superior to the other lens for indoor portrait.

Your traveling package will be 7d + 17-55 + 70-200 + 100 Macro+ extender. NO bad at all

Thanks again to everyone for your advice and input!

Initially, I was planning on the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM and a carbon fiber monopod, and putting the remainder toward the future purchase of a fast prime - 35L, 50 or 50L, 85L or 135L).
    <div>I spent many years teaching medical students, and I often told them, "Your first instinct is usually right." In this case, it was for me. Today, I picked up a CF monopod (used via Craigslist, but indistinguishable from new and for less than half the cost of a new one). I also ordered myEF 70-200mm f/2.8<span style="color: red;"]L IS II USM from B&amp;H today - it will be in my hands on Friday. </div>
    <div></div>

[]
    <div></div>
    <div></div>
    <div></div>