Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: My First Tripod. Recommendations please.

Quote Originally Posted by ham View Post
    So Denise, having seen your other thread do I assume you've not gone for the Vanguard 263AT?
    They sent me the "+" instead of the "Pro". The pro is the one with the rotating arm. So, I sent it back and in the meantime found this bracket that Outdoor Photo Gear advertised in a email that sent me. Since it is less than half the price, I figured it is worh checking out since I can put it right on top of my existing CF legs. The Vanguard legs that were sent to me did seem good if only the center column did what I need for it to do.

If the bracket doesn't work out, I am thinking I should just sell my CF legs and ballhead and get a CF set of legs that has a rotating center column if the extra $ is available and maybe a different ballhead. I don't really need a set of CF legs, aluminum legs and my monopod. I just didn't really want to go through the hassle of selling and shipping off my existing set.

Maybe in the end, having the wrong model sent to me was a good thing ...we will see!

Thanks.

I still haven't decided. Decisions are not my strong suit.

I'm actually quite intrigued by the Vanguard. It has a lot of things that, whilst they're not essential, could be useful. It comes with a bag, has retractably-spiked feet, and does the full 360degree centre column thing.

I don't want to be massively money-driven, but this seems like a brilliant deal.

Am I wrong?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alta-Pro-263...0370039&sr=1-1

Looking at my little spreadsheet of leg options, the Vanguard comes out as one of the best. It's a close run thing between it and the 055xprob, but it's 400g lighter.

Code:
    Brand	Vanguard	Manfrotto	Manfrotto	Giotto		Induro
    Model	AP 263AT	190XPROB	055XPROB	GTMT 9340B	AT114
    Weight	2.0kg		1.8kg		2.4kg		1.3kg		1.5kg
    Max Cap	7kg (5kg)	5kg		7kg		3kg		6kg
    wo CC	1.40m		1.22m		1.42m		1.41m		1.29m
    w CC	1.65m		1.46m		1.79m		1.20m		1.52m
    Length	0.63m		0.57m		0.66m		0.47m		0.49m
    Price	£110		£85		£100		£94		£118
    And the 100 looks like a decent ballhead.

Would appreciate any opinions.
    Last edited by ham; 02-27-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Sounds like you are real close to deciding! The Vanguard looks good to me if it gives you everything you are looking for such as max. weight, height, etc. To me, 3-section legs are much better than 4. That bottom skinniest section makes me nervous on the 4 section ones.

Have you watched the videos on youtube? Some of those are pretty helpful. If you can get passed the one with the guy that was unpacking the Vanguard and he thought the stone bag was an umbrella for the camera in case it starts to rain, the ballhead at least didn't appear to have any sag with his gear on it.

Good luck! I am looking forward to hearing what you decide and to read a review from you!

Denise

A 7kg limit does not necessarily mean you should get close to that weight. I have a Vangaurd tripod with a load rating close to yours, and I am looking for a better tripod now. I am well under the load limit, but it is not the stiffest of legs. The probelm comes if there is any wind, or if you are on ice the legs tend to splay outward... it's like a spring bouncing up and down on ice. The shake in wind is another problem. The other issue is the leg clamps keep slipping... I keep tightening them down, but the clamps slip any way and it keeps sinking. Never plan on raising the column because it only gets much worse.

Personally, I am looking for something in the 40 pound load rating or higher to get the stiffness I want, and I am currently thinking about getting an Induro CT414 with 55 lb (25kg) load rating. I also look forward to something a bit taller.

As for the ball head... the same holds true. It will hold my 7D w/grip and 24-105mm f/4L only if it is straight up, and if I line up a shot and then tighten up the ball it will move in the process of tightening it up. It is frustrating.

Sorry to throw some negitives out there, but load ratings are very subjective and aply only in the ideal circumstances (which seldom come along).
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

I was basing it on the fact that my gear weighs 1.5kg currently. You get lots of 1.5s in a 7...

Should I be looking at a pod nearer 20kg rating then? I would've thought any of those would be much heavier or cf and much more expensive?

My Induro CT213 Tripod specs state it will hold a max load of 26.4 lb (12 kg), the Induro BHD2 ballhead specs state it will hold a max load of 39.6 lb (18 kg). I mainly use it for my 7d which weighs 28.9 oz (820g) & my 100-400mm (55.8 oz). Sometimes, I will add a 580ex II and better beamer and if you add on the plate on the lens and the bracket on the camera plus the batteries that all comes to approx. 5-1.2 lbs so I do still have quite a bit of weight that I could add even for the legs but I really wouldn't want to add to much more. IMO and I surely could be wrong on this (someone please correct me if I am) but I would think the top expensive brands can hold closer to their max capacity than the lower priced brands.

Denise

How about a 3 legged thing with a manfrotto head

Should I be looking for a tripod with a higher weight rating then? Someone earlier said x3 or x4 your kit (1.5kg x 4 = 6kg) and you'll be more than fine. Is that not true? What weight rating should I be looking for in that case? I think I'm getting more confused if anything As for the ball-tightening issue, is that common with ballheads? Or just some brands? Likewise the leg slippage, should I look elsewhere than Vanguard?

@Th3t4 - The 3LT you've linked to includes a ballhead. Why would I then buy the Manfrotto? Also I'm not sure I could get on with a Pan+Tilt head. I'd rather a ball.

I am sorry to add to your confussion; but, in my opinion, I think you may be getting to small. I have been living with that for far to long and wish I would have gone larger on the loading to start. If you are not planning on putting any large heavy lenses on it, then 25kg should be fine. Make sure you can add wieght to it if it is windy out so you can get more stability. I have also heard what Denise is alluding to... that is, the cheaper tripods tend to be under rated compared to the more expensive ones. Comparing two brands, you can not say the one 12kg is as capable as another 12kg set of legs because there is no standards for their ratings. So if you are looking at a cheap 12kg set, it is not going to compare to a high end 12kg set.

As for the ball moving when clamping it down... I think that is a problem with cheap ones. Ball heads in general are a great tool. I do not believe the better ones have the same issues.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr