Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS vs. EF 70-200mm f/4L IS

Re: EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS vs. EF 70-200mm f/4L IS

Out of the f4 IS or the f2.8 then I would personally go f2.8. But I want action stopping shutter speeds which "IS" is useless for.

The f4 IS does have the 2 mode version which would be good for panning shots. I have the f2.8 ISso I could play with that type of shot with the 2 mode IS.

Best thing would be save a bit longer and go with the f2.8 IS, then you haveTHE best 70-200mm for all situations. As always spend right once and you won't regret it. A lensWILL lasta number of camera body upgrades.

Re: EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS vs. EF 70-200mm f/4L IS

for the f/4 IS vs f/2.8, I would go for f/4 IS because I'm spoiled by the IS. hehe. The f/4 IS can still be used in low light because of the IS and also by using a higher ISO. I don't shoot sports anyway so I think I can go with that lens.

But to bring the discussion back to the topic f/2.8 IS vs f/4 IS, I'm still leaning towards the f/2.8 IS. Weight is an issue but I believe I'll get used to it (or grow a six pack on my neck LOL) or another solution is by getting a monopod. I'm getting an r-strap too and I think it will help a lot compared to a neck strap. I still have to sample it though.

The thing with the f/4 IS is the price. As I've said, I can buy the lens and another body (40D probably) with the same amount as that of a f/2.8 IS. And with a light frame, it's portable. Good for travel. But do I travel a lot? Not really but when I'm all set, I plan to.

For the f/2.8 IS on the other hand, the 2.8 makes it more versatile as a lens compared to the f/4. I don't mind the IQ difference because both are still L, one might be
    crisper than the other but an L is an L. (must get a sharp copy though ) IS technology is a bit old on this one but the lens having it is a good plus. The thing I'm thinking about though is if the price is worth the IS of this lens.

I'm saving up anyway so why not save up for the bigger gun to cover all my bases. Not unless I get a windfall, I'll just have to wait for a long time and just think of ways to use the lens.

If things go my way, why not have the two? haha