Page 50 of 137 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Best Portrait Shots!

Re: Post Your Best Portrait Shots!

Amber in the Tennessee Technological University quad. I graduated from TTU in 2005. She's going back to school to become a teacher. She'll be a good one, too. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/budrowilson/4983776182/][/url]

Amber in the Tennessee Technological University quad. I graduated from TTU in 2005. She's going back to school to become a teacher. She'll be a good one, too. :-)
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

This one is at the top of my favorites, Sean! Good luck, Amber! [Y] [Y] Sean ...no snapping photos when she's trying to study! []

Denise

some of my son....rod
    <div style="text-align: center;"][img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x450/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.46.19/5_2D00_7_2D00_10_5F00_DxO-_2800_Large_2900_.jpg[/img]
    <div style="text-align: center;"][img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x450/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.46.19/7_2D00_26_2D00_10-_2800_8_29005F00_DxO-_2800_Large_2900_.jpg[/img]
    <div style="text-align: center;"][img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x450/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.46.19/9_2D00_7_2D00_10-_2800_5_29005F00_DxO-_2800_Large_2900_.jpg[/img]</div>
    </div>
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by Gian Luca

Leica R 90 f2 Apo Asph on 5D MKII

[url="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/4926913870_888a3bcd25_o.jpg]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/4926913870_888a3bcd25_o.jpg[/url]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Wow obviously I missed a few shots last few weeks....nice shots everybody is in place![Y]

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    I actually had fun with shoot for not so obvious reasons

Are you kidding me?[:P]

Nah, I think working with those primes definitely paid off, the shots look great. I really like mystique/dreamy-ness in the first one. Just out of curiosity: did you do a lot of lens-swapping during the shoot? I can imagine 85mm and 50mm being pretty close? Or do you have a favorite lens for different circumstances and shots? I couldn't tell if this shot was with a 50mm prime or an 85mm.
    </div>

I haven't taken any portraits of people yet, but here is one of my pug, Roxy.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.46.64/Roxy-3.JPG[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky

Wow obviously I missed a few shots last few weeks....nice shots everybody is in place![img]/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]

<div>

I actually had fun with shoot for not so obvious reasons

Are you kidding me?[img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

Nah, I think working with those primes definitely paid off, the shots look great. I really like mystique/dreamy-ness in the first one. Just out of curiosity: did you do a lot of lens-swapping during the shoot? I can imagine 85mm and 50mm being pretty close? Or do you have a favorite lens for different circumstances and shots? I couldn't tell if this shot was with a 50mm prime or an 85mm.
    </div>

Thanks Jan.

I was shooting with 1Ds2 and 5D2I flip flopped them once and I can't remember why. All of those shots I posted are with the 85. I'll post a couple I shot with the 50. I chose focal length based on the terrain. It was really hilly and sometimes I couldn't get the angle I wanted with one lens so grabbed the other body/lens combo. There was also an occasion where I was nestled in the middle of some brush and moving in and out was an option so I used the 50 for full body and the 85 for tight shots. If I could have I would have shot all with the 85 to keep it simple but the 50 was quite handy and definitely no compromise. I had the 35 near by incase I needed it but the 50 was the widest I needed.

w/50mm

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_8766altSM.jpg[/img]

I plan on PSing out the board under her feet. Not my favorite shot anyway.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_U8I0146altSM.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_U8I0081altSM.jpg[/img]

<div>

I was shooting with 1Ds2 and 5D2

Ah of course... that explains a lot. It does make a lot of sense to use 2 camera's at an important shoot.

Those primes seem to make very nice photos. I know I love my 50mm, but still I'm using it too little since the almighty zoom works a lot easier for me in most cases. I'm guessing all of your photos are framed like this and are not cropped? Or slightly perhaps. I can see why the 35mm didn't get any work if it isn't absolutely needed.

I like the second and third photo, that backlighting looks really good. It shows her figure in a gentle way. I like that.

If I'm honest I must say that I'm not a big fan of the first shot. The overall picture doesn't work for me. It almost seems like your model (which is absolutely beautiful) isn't really in harmony with the environment in the shot, while in the other shots you managed to do this very well.

What was your lighting/reflector set-up? during the shoot? I guess the heavy backlighting is sun and you had 1 main-light? And do I see smoke in the first shot?

Overall the last shot of the last 3 is my favorite. And lastly...I'm curious, what's the purpose of this shoot? Is it going to be published/portfolio work/anything other?

Thanks for the explanation and also for showing the 50mm samples Keith. Much appreciated.

Jan
    </div>

Jan

All I can say is, commit to the primes! I think the thing that really made me want to switch is just thinking about all the great photo from the past were shot with primes and all the MF guys shoot primes. Once I got the 85L and compared shots to my 70-200 it was easy to see why. I'm still a little surprised Annie Leibovitz uses the 24-70 so much. You'd think with all the control she would have she'd shoot primes.

I'm with you on that full length shot. I want to like but I don't. I was a little exhausted at that point in the shoot and the model wasn't very experienced so I think I gave up. I wanted her crouching down in some fashion but she just wanted to stand on the board. I just posted it to show full length 50mm shot. That is smoke in the background. I think that is why I want to like it so much. I'll post one with a little post on it too. All the shots are uncropped. I have the mentality of, if you didn't nail it in the camera live with it. I hate throwing away pixels.

No use for the 35. Until I got the 50L I use to try to frame shot with the 35 and I was getting too close and it also started to distort features. It's funny when I bought the 35L I was on the fence with a 50 but all the bad reviews of just about every 50 made me lean to the 35. But I'm loving the 50L.

The purpose of the shoot was really just for portfolios. I found a spot that really inspired me so I looked on Model Mayhem for a local girl who needed some port stuff. I wanted some swimsuit shots and I was so tired of the same old beach scenes. I was going to do some other stuff but the model had a very limited wardrobe and the dresses she had were really bad.

The sun was the heavy backlight, the key was a 580EXII in 36" Softlighter with the silver insert. This has become my favorite light. I find it to be very similar to a beauty dish. The FL shot we don't like used same key and 60" umbrella camera right to light the smoke and give a little edge. I also used a 18" shoot thru umbrella for some edge and smoke on other shots. All the 580s were triggered with Radiopopper Jrxs.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_8766alt2SM.jpg[/img]