Page 6 of 101 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best Macro shots

Re: Post your best Macro shots

Here is one of my favorite macro shots.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.86/106-reduced.JPG[/img]

Taken with my Minolta 50mm f/1.7, XTi, wide open, 12mm exstention tube. I really like the glowing affect the thin DOF provides. I did absolutely no post proccessing except down-rezing and a small amount of sharpening.

John.

That is some great detail in your fly Denise. Great shot. I like how you can see the little hairs all over his body. I am having a hard time with DOF at the moment and getting enough light. I think I am going to need to work on my flash modifier a little.

John, really like the flower. The dreamy OOF on your lens makes the picture even better. I am a big fan of the very small DOF and creamy background with flowers. Some of the best I have seen are on another forum and the guy uses the 85mm 1.2 with some tubes. They are amazing.

Jayson

Here are a couple more I shot yesterday.

Here are three recent shots. When you can't get close enough without disturbing the critter, try using the 672 mm F/5.6 macro, i.e. 7D with 300 mm F4L IS and 1.4x. Shots are about three quarters of the frame and down-rezzed.[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.66.New_5F00_1/IMG_5F00_8133cr.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.66.New_5F00_1/IMG_5F00_9064cr.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.66.New_5F00_1/IMG_5F00_9139cr.jpg[/img]

Nice Shots Denise
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by EdN
    When you can't get close enough without disturbing the critter, try using the 672 mm F/5.6 macro, i.e. 7D with 300 mm F4L IS and 1.4x.

Well, Ed - to be technically correct, if you're including the crop factor effect on focal length you need to include it on aperture as well, so what you have is a672 mm f/9lens in terms of FF equivalence.

Fortunately, grasshoppers aren't too easy to disturb, and this one didn't seem to mind me getting right up close...

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dr_brain/4947783293/lightbox/][/url]
    EOS 7D, EF 100mm f/2.8<span style="color: red;"]L Macro IS USM, 1/160 s, f/11, ISO 640

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

When you can't get close enough without disturbing the critter, try using the 672 mm F/5.6 macro, i.e. 7D with 300 mm F4L IS and 1.4x.

Well, Ed - to be technically correct, if you're including the crop factor effect on focal length you need to include it on aperture as well, so what you have is a672 mm f/9lens in terms of FF equivalence.

The F/9 would be for depth of field purposes but it lets in light like an F/5.6 for increased shutter speed. For me, if I'm up that close, I'm looking for both speed to freeze the critter (and my hand movement) and depth of field to grab some extra detail. For the right situation, it can be a win-win.

The F/9 would be for depth of field purposes but it lets in light like an F/5.6 for increased shutter speed.

Yes, you would get a shutter speed of f/5.6 but the noise would be the same as f/9 on a full-frame or f/5.6 noise on a 1.6. The noise would be about the same.