Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallet full of $100 bills

Re: Wallet full of $100 bills

Nice! Have fun mate. I'll have my new 5D mkII and 24-70 f/2.8 on Friday as well - I'll spare a thought for our collective excitement when unwrapping the box. []
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

I think many of us will agree that Vincent Laforet is a pretty good photographer and he's an admitted "gear head". Check out some pictures of the various lenses he uses [url="http://www.vincentlaforet.com/Gear/large-1.html]here[/url].
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Looking at that made me cry. I want ONE of the TS-E lenses... he had them all. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY???
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    <div>Today, I picked up a CF monopod (used via Craigslist, but indistinguishable from new and for less than half the cost of a new one). I also ordered myEF 70-200mm f/2.8<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L IS II USM from B&amp;H today - it will be in my hands on Friday. </div>
    <div></div>

[img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

Congrats!!! Fantastic decision...I am sure you are going to enjoy both very much!

Denise

P.S. You ever want to sell any of that "like new" craigslist gear ...you know where to find me! []

Quote Originally Posted by MacManUS

17-85 mm...50mm f1.4 ...10-22...7D and the EFS 17-55 f2.8...EF 85mm f1.8...EF 135mm f2...70-200 f4 IS...200mm f2.8 prime...20 D

Wow thats a lot of lenses. I'm pretty happy with my 5d II, 24-70, and 70-200 2.8 IS. That being said I'd love a:

• 180 mm macro with IS
    • 14-24 UWA Zoom from canon with IS (to rival nikons
    • the new 70-200 mark II
    • 24-70 with IS
    • 1Ds mark IV
    • 400 2.8 IS

<div>Soseeingas only two of the lenses on my wishlist are in production and seeing as I'm still paying off what I have my two lenses are enough for me. (:</div>

I also ordered myEF 70-200mm f/2.8<span style="color:red;"]L IS II USM from B&amp;H today - it will be in my hands on Friday.

It's my favorite lens. I think you'll like it.

I spent many years teaching medical students, and I often told them, "Your first instinct is usually right."

Just the kind of reckless abandon I like in a surgeon.

Hey wait. Do I know you? You're not Professor Tucker, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Not last time I checked, no. [:P]

It's my favorite lens. I think you'll like it.

I do like the 70-200 II!! [] It's really a fantastic and fantastically sharp lens - from my limited testing, it's at least as sharp as the 200mm f/2.8L prime!

Here's a shot of a cooperative kestral from my walk around a local Audubon preserve last weekend (~50% crop):

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.35.15/Kestral_2D00_Crop.jpg[/img]

EOS 7D, EF70-200mm f/2.8<span style="color: red;"]LIS II USM @ 200mm, f/4, 1/320 s, ISO 250

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams
    If you do decide on the 70-200 II, one of theblack rapid strapswould solve your problems regarding keeping your hands available for "quick toddler grabs".

That same walk around the nature preserve, trying to manage gripped 7D+70-200 and toddler, convinced me that the Canon neck strap was not the way to go. Thanks again for this great recommendation, Bob. I picked up a BlackRapid RS-4 on Tuesday and used it yesterday on a family outing - it's excellent!
    <div>--John</div>

I spent many years teaching medical students, and I often told them, "Your first instinct is usually right."

Not last time I checked, no. [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

It's just that I took an anatomy class at UC Davis, and Professor Tucker repeatedly said the same thing. Maybe it's an anatomist thing.

I do like the 70-200 II!! [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img] It's really a fantastic and fantastically sharp lens - from my limited testing, it's at least as sharp as the 200mm f/2.8L prime!

I'm enjoying mine as well. And my wife has onlychastisedme a few times for spending all that money. Easily worth it. ]

It's just that I took an anatomy class at UC Davis, and Professor Tucker repeatedly said the same thing.

Ok, you're scaring me a bit - the degrees of separation just became a lot fewer. Actually, I think Richard might have picked up that saying from the same place that I did. When you wrote 'Professor Tucker' I dismissed that, as Tucker isn't exactly a rare surname. But I was teaching at UC Davis when he joined the faculty there (1994/95, I think), and my research lab was in MS-1A. It was a favorite saying of one of the senior faculty members in the medical gross anatomy course in which we both taught. I also taught a few lab sections of the undergrad anatomy course (CHA 101, IIRC?).

Feel free to start a Conversation if you'd like to reminisce!

Wait... a crop sensor affects the "effective aperture" too (i.e., f/2 on full frame is equivalent to ~f/4 on a crop sensor)???

I have never read that anywhere before... but then again, I've only been toying around with this stuff for about a year now

Most people are aware that a larger sensor

1) gives a narrower dof

2) gives less noise at a given ISO

2 in effect makes our lenses expose faster. For example, if ISO 1000 on the 5DII has as much noise as ISO 400 on the 7D, then we can use a 2 1/2 times faster shutter speed with the 5DII while getting the same noise by using iso 1000 instead of iso 400. Thus 2 could be rewritten as

2') allows us to use higher shutter speeds while retaining the same amount of noise.

Most people are aware of 1) and 2) in a qualitative way. What most (except those on this forum) don't realize is that when you move to full frame, the amount by which the DOF decreases and shutter speed increases is exactly the same as if our lens f number was divided by the FOVCF.

In short, the answer is yes when it comes to DOF and fast exposure.

For close up shots (near 1x magnification), DOF does not follow this rule, but then, most of us stop down for macros anyway.